Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comcast Hard Pull!! What the??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comcast Hard Pull!! What the??

Thing is, with cell cervice, you could go over your minutes, call international, or do a lot of other things to run up a huge bill that you would owe.  Checking credit makes more sense there.

Cable is billed in advance.  You only have service you have already paid for.  Cable companies are not really extending credit in any way.  They don't need to be doing a credit check.  Comcast didn't check mine a year ago when I signed up for internet.

Message 11 of 19
singulardedication
Valued Member

Keep in mind your Cable Company gives you a credit limit for purchasing VoD (Video on Demand/PPV).  It is possible to order over $200 or more of content per month including thinks like boxing fights/movies/...

Just one of the DVRs can cost as much as $500.

I've heard with some cable companies you can have frozen credit, but they need a copy of photo ID for verification and they call the phone number listed on the freeze.

Starting Score: TU 732 | EQ 655 | EX Plus 725 [Jan 2012]
Current Score: TU 697 | EQ 694 | EX 659 (psecu) [aPRIL 2012]
Goal Score: 760 In Aggressive paydown mode, thinking Amex BCE for 2013

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 19
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

Yet another reason for cutting the cord.

So many choices now for content that you can effectively cut the cable and not miss one hell of a lot. Sure there are some things, out of town sports and such, but for the money saved every month it just got to be too hard for me to justify.
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mmm Hmmm, Tell me about it. It's more than cable, any body can do it if it's in the contract you sign, or verbally agree to. I got so frustrated with this type of activities I froze my credit reports.

Message 14 of 19
boomhower
Valued Contributor

I can understand it with the technology in place these days.  HD boxes, DVR's, modem's, modem's w/phone, etc are all expensive pieces of equipment.  Could they do it with a soft, yep.  I don't know why so many utilities are hell bent on hard pulls.

Message 15 of 19
BGinVA
Contributor

Yeap, Dish Network, hp'd me last fall when I switched over from Directv (changed only so I could get local news stations we couldn't get with Dircetv).  Thing that ticked me off, is they told me some crap about checking with the previous service provider to see if I was paid up to date (which I was) so I said "sure", and it wasn't until a few weeks later when I checked My FICO that I realized they didn't check anything with Directv, they hard pulled my credit report. 

Message 16 of 19
HiLine
Blogger

@BGinVA wrote:

Yeap, Dish Network, hp'd me last fall when I switched over from Directv (changed only so I could get local news stations we couldn't get with Dircetv).  Thing that ticked me off, is they told me some crap about checking with the previous service provider to see if I was paid up to date (which I was) so I said "sure", and it wasn't until a few weeks later when I checked My FICO that I realized they didn't check anything with Directv, they hard pulled my credit report. 

Dang! Just realized I got a pull from Comcast as well. I didn't even sign up for their service - I don't remember what I did back then. Does an inquiry from Comcast matter to lenders? They understand this doesn't imply credit seeking don't they? 

Message 17 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

While credit report inquiries are frustrating, FICO recognizes the very short term value of their ability to predict payment risk, and discontinues their scoring after one year.

While the CRA policy is to retain them for up to two years, thus making them viewable to others, I would suspect that others also assume that an inquiry of over a year prior is of little concern.  So impacts are usually not so serious as to result in serious hair-pulling.

As for coding, it is unfortunate that a party will report hard when promising soft, but very difficult to contest if they do.

So-called hard and soft inquiries are administrative conconctions of the CRAs, and are not regulated under the FCRA except for promotional offers for credit that were not initiated by the consumer.  Disputes over inquiries of any nature must show actual lack of permissible purpose, and are not disputable under the FCRA based on coding.

And all disputes relating to inquiries in any form are specifically excluded from the direct dispute process, so must be made through the party that granted the inquiry...the CRA.  Tough one to crack, if the party provided a permissible purpose.

As for permissible purpose, it need not be based on extension of credit.  FCRA 604 grants, as permissible purpose without prior consumer consent, pull of your credit report as long as they have a "legitimate business purpose" associated with a consumer-initiated business transaction.

Message 18 of 19
Croselx
Contributor

Thread revival lol. In PR my experience has been that they HP for most cable services or request a hefty deposit if you don't want credit to be verified. The same for cell phones, HP if you want a discounted device.

For Internet (dsl) I didn't got HP, I recently requested cable as well and they didn't HP (though it is a 12 month contract or pay $100 deposit for the DVR). For cell phone service I bought my own device (old school tonka nokia that never breaks xD) and subscribed to a month to month plan, no HP even though I pay 1 month after service is used <- probably did a SP as they requested SSN.

I agree with HP if you want a discounted/free device, but if all you want is service then it does more harm than good (IMO). Sad thing is that most companies penalize the prepay subscribers with higher costs for the same service on top of the cost for the device.

As of Feb: AAoA 1 year, 10 months
CK TU: 740; Wal-Mart TU FICO: 721
CS EX: 715
8 CCs, 15 total accounts.
Negs on report: 1 30 day late aged 3 years
5 inquiries
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.