Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comcast Sneak Attack

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comcast Sneak Attack

I am moving units within the same apartment building, and called Comcast to switch my service to the new unit. The customer care representative assured me she could get  me a great new deal, I just needed to sign a form to sign up for the new service -- even though I already had an account with them.

Two days later -- BOOM -- MyFico score alert: my score dropped 10 points because of a hard inquiry from Comcast! Can I disupte an inquiry? I simply would have declined their new deal if I knew they were going to hit my credit with a hard inquiry, What's the best way to go about disputing this?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comcast Sneak Attack

I didn't know they did this. But I'm not suprissed. Comcast sucks worse than ATT. I would take this as a life lesson, pull the plug and get an hbo now subscription and an appletv.

ps both my mom and dad are cougs. 

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

we_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Coporate Email 

If you already had service and were just transfering with in the same community they should not have hit you with a hard inq. If your payment history has been good, it should have just been transfered with out the hard inq. They should have offered a deposit instead of a credit pull if need be. 

I would email the corporate office and inq if they can delete the inq as you, were not offered a deposit and not infomred of a credit pull. 

Message 3 of 17
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The key is their offer of a "new deal."

By agreeing, you technically initiated a request for a business transaction.

Consumer-initiated business transactions, even if they do not involve extension of credit, give rise to a permissible purpose under FCRA 604 to pull your credit report if they can substantiate any reasonable business need to review your current credit. 

They had permissible purpose.

If you feel that it should have been coded as a soft pull, by all means, call and request a change in coding.

They cannot "delete"" and inquiry, as the cat is out of the proverbial bag.... they received your credit report with legitimate purpose.

However, in my opinion, it is not disputable.

Message 4 of 17
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

we_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Coporate Email 

If you already had service and were just transfering with in the same community they should not have hit you with a hard inq. If your payment history has been good, it should have just been transfered with out the hard inq. They should have offered a deposit instead of a credit pull if need be. 

I would email the corporate office and inq if they can delete the inq as you, were not offered a deposit and not infomred of a credit pull. 

First doublecheck the new agreement they wanted U to sign to see if theres anything re: a credit check. Hope U can resolve.

EDITED: Oops.... didnt see above post which is 100% correct. New deal = permissable purpose = done deal. U may still dispute for peace of mind but legally they hav no obligation to remove.... sorry.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cant dispute you agreed to a new deal. No do overs.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

This must vary by state. I switched to Comcast from Centurylink recently and didn't get any hard pulls for it.

Message 7 of 17
Girac
Regular Contributor

Several years ago I called Geico inc for a quote, yea a quote and they went and did a hard pull.

Message 8 of 17
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Credit is used by insurance companies as well to determine premiums.  HP's have a small impact that tapers off quickly and falls off in 2 years.  10 points IMO isn't worth worrying over.  Comcast did have permissible purpose indicated by the new deal and new service.  For a straight transfer without the deal an HP would have not been performed.

Message 9 of 17
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Yeah comcast HPs with new accounts.

You signed and agreed, I dont think there is anything you can do.

If its disputed what would be the basis for disputing?  Didnt read the paper?

Id go with above poster, consider it a life lesson, sucks but not much you can do about it =/

*edit* left window open too long sorry! already had a bunch of replys Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.