cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comcast illegally hard pulled my credit report for someone else! How to fight back?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comcast illegally hard pulled my credit report for someone else! How to fight back?

In early Oct 2014, I get an alert in my email inbox from  Citi identity monitor.

IT was HARD PULL on my Equifax credit report and it was done by Comcast.

I called their managers and than thheir  executive agent on phone.  I came to know that Comcast hard pulled my credit report & billed me $60 charge for cable & internet at an address I moved out months ago. I don't know anyone who moved in after I moved out and transferred my Comcast service to my new address. I was paying my own monthly bill. The $60 charge at an old address was invalid,. So Comcast told me they removed the charge they wrongly billed me.

I was also told they will have the HARD CREDIT PULL  masked.  I learnt later that Mask means inquiry stays but won't be seen by any creditors.

First I told them remove it mask it whatever you have to do do it. I waited till November. IN November, I contacted and disputed the inquiry with Equifax, Equifax told me the inquiry is  a valid inquiry, it's not masked,  not removed because Comcast has authorized it and they can't do anything about it. I filed BBB complaint against Comcast for not correcting their error. Comcast said they haave already masked it  I wil receive a letter showing what they have done to mask the illegal inquiry. But Comcast hasn't shown me any proof of what they said they would do and BBB agent just ignored my complaint.

I sent a complaint to my states AG's office about the illegal inquiry done by Comcast just recently.

It  has now been over 66 days since they illegally pulled my credit report.

I sent them a warning fax to their corporate office yesterday to REMOVE the illegal inquiry or will file lawsuit soon.

What would you do in this case?

Any suggestions, advice?

I am sure my score has dropped by few points by Comcast's unlawful hard inquiry and it sure has made small negative damage. Because  we know every hard inquiry hurts a little bit. I save the inquiry for new credit card applications or future loans and I hate it when someone hard pulls my credit report and that too without my authorization. I have been very careful about my credit report for so many years.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Comcast illegally hard pulled my credit report for someone else! How to fight back?

It appears that the inquiry was related to an account that was opened, and you did not authorize.

Thus, the identity theft process as opposed to a dispute/verifiction process would be the path to follow.

Thus, you could treat as an identity theft matter, file a police report, and send to the CRA, which would require blockage of any information from your credit report related to the alleged identity theft.   FCRA 605B.

No need for any input from or any action by Comcast in order to get the info blocked from any creidt report provided by the CRA.

Message 2 of 9
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

Re: Comcast illegally hard pulled my credit report for someone else! How to fight back?

RobertEQ gave you the best response.  Welcome to the forums, unless you've already been here a while under different monikerSmiley Wink

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I shouldn't take any action against Comcast since they illegally pulled it?Comcast told me they made a mistake by using my info  to provide service for same address I used to live. moved out  few months later.

Message 4 of 9
Billybob_TX
Frequent Contributor

This is why you keep 'em frozen until applying for something. Stops the willy-nilly pulls. Never will understand the mindset on this board about not freezing the CRs.

Message 5 of 9
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Because sometimes, they aren't easy to unfreeze. But an identity theft incident will lock them up for awhile.

Tis why I couldn't get pre approved offers online. Still think I am opted out.
Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried unsuccessfully to file a police report cos the cops told me it is a dispute civil matter.  also the BBB complain't didn't work cos  we know   in the end BBB always side with  the business who pays their pay check as membership fees.

I have just filed complaint with my states AG's office and  one rude comcast rep from my state called me that day that for them this matter is  closed. Tells me it was a mistake by one of their agent and they have "masked" the inquiry. However   they never shown me any proof of what action they have taken, not even a letter that shows  the request they made to Equifax .

All I have been asking Comcast is  removal of the unlawful inquiry and  any proof of actions they took to remove it.

Even if they masked it, why don't show any action they took to have it masked?

Equifax  keeps telling me the nothing has changed and if i have dispute i should  do it with comcast.

Under the fair credit reporting act, anyone who unlawfully , without authorization pulls someone's credit is liable for  up to $1k damage and not including puniive damage and attorney fees. I know my score dropped by few points  due to this inquiry and so far  it doesn't look removed or masked.

I wonder if I should hire a consumer law attorney and file a suit against comcast? I am expecting Comcast's response to my states AG's office complaint. soon.

Message 7 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Illegal means that a court has ruled that the inquiry was made without permissible purpose.

The inquiree has provided a permissible purpose to the CRA.

If you feel they knew that their permissible purpose was knowingly inaccurate or without basis, then civil action seems to be the recourse.

It appears that administrative resolution has run its course......

Message 8 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Billybob_TX wrote:

This is why you keep 'em frozen until applying for something. Stops the willy-nilly pulls. Never will understand the mindset on this board about not freezing the CRs.

I've never understood the one-size-fits-all mindset anywhere on any topic.  Its up to each to determine whether or not freezing is a suitable solution.  Like any other decision there are pros and cons and one needs to make the evaluation versus relying on a person's assertion that it's nothing but beneficial.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.