Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Companies reviewing my credit history.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Companies reviewing my credit history.

If I am not going to apply for credit or have not requested anyone review my account how are people able to do so? I was reviewing my report and a couple had a note that said written authorization... there were also many views, even by Tmobile  who I have used since 1999.  How can I freeze my account and not let it be reviewed without me direct authorization?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
John060675
Valued Contributor

Re: Companies reviewing my credit history.

Are they doing soft or hard inquiries?  Soft inquiries are very normal and they do not change your FICO score.  It is a way that current creditors see how you are doing and for potential creditors to send you crap mail in hopes of getting your business.

You can have your accounts frozen, which I have done.  Just contact the big 3 (Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian) and request this.  I am not sure if they changed the process, but when I did mine 3 years ago it was easy and quick.  Do a google search for the exact way of doing it.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto. I think you might be looking at soft inquiries which have no bearing on your credit. T-Mobile used to hit me up all the time. The 3 CRAs will sell your personal info unless you opt out, though "written authorization" would be indicative of a possible pull.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps they were soft inquiries? So I will send a written letter asking that I opt out and that my account be frozen from inquiries? Is that correct?  Thank you.

Message 4 of 8
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Companies where you have, or in some cases had in the past, a credit relationship can pull your credit for Account Management or Account Review purposes.  Others can get a partial summary of your report for marketing purposes.  These are "soft pulls" and aren't reported on the version of your report that goes when you apply for credit, and aren't counted for scoring purposes.

You generally only see these on a direct report from the CRA, like your free annual report.  For example (the categorization as "hard" or "soft" is mine):

Equifax breaks inquiries in to two sections, "Inquiries that may impact you credit rating" (hard) and "Inquiries that will not impact your credit rating" (soft).

Experian lists "Inquiries shared with others" (hard), and "Inquiries shared only with you" (soft).

TransUnion breaks out three categories, "Regular Inquiries" (hard), Promotional Inquiries (soft) and "Account Review" (soft).  TransUnion also shows the "permissable purpose" on many inquiries.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I would advise you to review your cardholder agreement. In most cardholder and other agreements you give the creditor permission to review your credit history.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@chasmith wrote:

Companies where you have, or in some cases had in the past, a credit relationship can pull your credit for Account Management or Account Review purposes.  Others can get a partial summary of your report for marketing purposes.  These are "soft pulls" and aren't reported on the version of your report that goes when you apply for credit, and aren't counted for scoring purposes.

You generally only see these on a direct report from the CRA, like your free annual report.  For example (the categorization as "hard" or "soft" is mine):

Equifax breaks inquiries in to two sections, "Inquiries that may impact you credit rating" (hard) and "Inquiries that will not impact your credit rating" (soft).

Experian lists "Inquiries shared with others" (hard), and "Inquiries shared only with you" (soft).

TransUnion breaks out three categories, "Regular Inquiries" (hard), Promotional Inquiries (soft) and "Account Review" (soft).  TransUnion also shows the "permissable purpose" on many inquiries.

+1

Promo soft inquiries don't show the gory (or gorgeous) details on your history; just very general info like your demographics. These can be blocked by opting out.

If you're a customer of a given lender, the lender can review your full report under the justification of account maintenance or review. These can't be blocked.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The entire intent of FCRA 604 is to define situations that authorize a permissible purpose for requesting your CR without the need for specfic, written authorization. FCRA 604(a).  Your pre-authorization is only required if they dont otherwise have a permissible purpose.   

If you have intitiated a business or credit transaction, or have an active account with a credtior, they do not need specific written authorization to access your full CR.  It is their right.  There is no statutory provision for denying those with a permissible purpose access to your CR.  There are some provisions under the fraud alert sections of the statute limiting what they may do with information, but they dont deny the basic right to access.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.