Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concerning Income/Job verification on applications

tag
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Concerning Income/Job verification on applications

I found this interesting.  My niece just apped a personal loan and got this info in the response to her app.

This is a income and job verification company for credit applications.  Thought you all would like to know.

Don't know which companies subscribe to this service but I suspect that all of them subscribe to some type of service like it.

For those of you that like to fudge on the income part of your application... might want to think twice.  Smiley Happy

The Work Number

11432 Lackland

St. Louis, MO

1-800-367-5690

www.theworknumber.com

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Concerning Income/Job verification on applications

I don't think credit card companies will bother with this. If there is an issue they just ask for pay stubs or access to tax records via IRS. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

It's been a while, but I can remember some posts about a few companies selling income verification information.  The one that I am thinking of supposedly had about 1/3 of consumers in their database.  You could request a report from them to determine whether you were in their database or not.  Can't recall the company, but you might be able to find it if you did some searching through the threads.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I don't think credit card companies will bother with this. If there is an issue they just ask for pay stubs or access to tax records via IRS. 

Most issuers nowadays have some kind of back system that verifies customers' information, mostly for fraud related purposes. This isn't anything new. 

Companies do the same for applicants whom are interviewing for job positions. One of the things they do check is the legitimacy of previous employment and salary.

A lot of these work are outsourced to other firms, including the one improvingmycredit posted. The Work Number is a subsidiary of Equifax.

When the information they have do not match with what the applicant stated, they will then usually request for tax records / bank statements / pay stubs to verify. 

An important thing to note is that a lot of these systems are still incomplete; they do not have data for every single individual, and even for individuals whom are in the system, the data may not be up-to-date or accurate.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Most issuers nowadays have some kind of back system that verifies customers' information, mostly for fraud related purposes. This isn't anything new. 

Companies do the same for applicants whom are interviewing for job positions. One of the things they do check is the legitimacy of previous employment and salary.

A lot of these work are outsourced to other firms, including the one improvingmycredit posted. The Work Number is a subsidiary of Equifax.

When the information they have do not match with what the applicant stated, they will then usually request for tax records / bank statements / pay stubs to verify. 

An important thing to note is that a lot of these systems are still incomplete; they do not have data for every single individual, and even for individuals whom are in the system, the data may not be up-to-date or accurate.

+1

This...exactly.

Message 5 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

This is what I was thinking of.  https://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs6b-SpecReports.htm#2

As it happens, The Work Number was the specialty report regarding income that I (partially) remembered.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 6 of 9
Chaos122
Regular Contributor

yeah the work number has been around for a little while now, but they are still growing and many companies dont provide income info through them.  Also creditors can verify employment via the work number but they cannot verify income unless you give them a "salary key" that only you can get.

My job uses the work number for employment/income verification and they constantly tell us to us it as oppose to our hr dept.  However even when I have tried to use it a lot of creditors have refused and have instead requested tax docs etc, so like i said before its still in the growing stage.

Starting Score: TU 608, Eq 618
Current Score: TU 797 Eq 792, Ex 805 (psecu)
Goal Score: 840 across the board

Message 7 of 9
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

It also helps the theworknumber also handles the payroll of many major companies in the US. I know Best Buy still uses them to this day. 

Message 8 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As an aside, you are entitled to a free credit report once every 12 months from such companies, as they are considerd consumer reporting agencies.

"FCRA 603(f)  The term "consumer reporting agency" means any person which, for monetary fees, dues, or on a corportate nonprofit basis, regularly engages in wole or in part in the practice of assembling or evaluating consumer credit information or other information on consumers for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports to third parties, and which uses any means of facility of interstate commerce for the purpose of preparing or furnishing consumer reports."

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.