tag
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: Confession Good for the Soul?

Cory wrote:

Boswd wrote:

Cory wrote:

Boswd wrote:
take it one collection at a time.   do some lifestyle changes.   Buy groceries with coupons, buy store brand items,    If you have a cable modem downgrade to dial up,   if you cable TV down grade to the basic or just get rid of it all together,  get rid of a phone if you have both cell and landline  many ways to save a buck

Good luck to you and just remember take it one collection at a time.  I would start with the smallest one first and work your way up using the snowball method.   All I would be doing my reputation an injustice if I didn't recommend  Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover.

Good luck.

I can learn a lot from you. Let's have some coffee and tea, lol

Cory

LOL  if you are ever in Boston let me know and we will  Smiley Very Happy

It will be my greatest pleasure!

mine too
Message 41 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Boswd wrote:

@Redbud wrote:
I too have become addicted!  But it's a good addiction!  Is there anything else you might be able to do for some extra income? Your will to recover from this is your strongest tool.  I love grilled zucchini and it's healthy too!

There soo many ways,   I have dropped my " I need Ralph Lauren and J Crew" labels andfound out Wal-Mart is a beutiful store.  If you asked me 3 years ago if I would buy my clothes there, I would and  laughed at you, but when you have to restructure you life, your eyes get opened up and to find that not only is Wal-mart exceptionally cheaper but their clothes are actually pretty nice.   Aslo is great for everyday shopping since they do offer all the big name products but at a much cheaper price.   Won't even think of going to Best Buy or Sears for a TV or electronics  Wal Mart kills them.

One of the biggest ways to save money is just really cut out eating take out or dining out.   I know it sounds very basic but you would be surprised on how much you do this without even knowing.   My wife and I ran bank statements for 3 months before we started doing this and we averaged about $150-$200 a month on take out and eating in restaurants.    I'm not saying you have to be a hermit and you should treat yourself once in a while but if you do eat out alot and do alot of take out, you would be amazed at how much you can save if you cut that in half or in 3/4's

Eating out is my one of the few luxuries I allow myself, but I have stepped away from that for the most part, only 2-4 times a week, lots of PBJs, Ramen, ZUCCHINI (think I am going to turn green). And I have always bought Wal-Mart or similar clothes, dressy for me is Good Jeans, Cowboy Boots, and a Button Down, and for funerals and weddings a Tie, or Bolo.

Problem with cooking at home is I have an efficiency apartment, with a hot plate, toaster over, microwave, and recently a Grill. The grill makes it better. but you can only cook so many things in a toaster oven and hotplate.
Message 42 of 65
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

jaguls66 wrote:

Problem with cooking at home is I have an efficiency apartment, with a hot plate, toaster over, microwave, and recently a Grill. The grill makes it better. but you can only cook so many things in a toaster oven and hotplate.

Katharine Whitehorn - Her book Cooking in a Bedsitter (originally Kitchen in the corner: A complete guide to bedsitter cookery), first published in 1961 and a classic of its kind, remained in print for thirty-five years.

(A bedsitter is an efficiency apartment)

Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 43 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Katharine Whitehorn - Her book Cooking in a Bedsitter (originally Kitchen in the corner: A complete guide to bedsitter cookery), first published in 1961 and a classic of its kind, remained in print for thirty-five years.

Smiley Very Happy

Thanks Midnight, I shall bookmark it and try to get a copy for something new to try.
Message 44 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah_Bodie wrote:

Boswd wrote:
I would rething BK on a total of $6,000 debt

I may not have been clear here.

I'm not saying BK a $6K debt, but consulting with a BK lawyer (at no cost) gives one a heavy hammer that can make the CAs think "This guy is talking BK so he's ready to give up and that means we get nothing." May or may not work, but it's free to try. If it knocks loose just one stubborn CA and persuades them to go PFD, then it's worth it.

In looking at his first post, it seems that he does not have the money for any PFD's.  I would say go ahead with a BK because if he does pay off the accounts in the next three years, the lates will be still on his CR 10 years from now.
Message 45 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

BK is not on option for me. I simply will not do it. I understand that i may take a hit in a lower FICO for now, Higher Intrest rates and such.

However, I truly do not want to do so. Perhaps I am just stubborn about many things. This is a mess I created. My score is in the tank already. I can live with that for now since I did it. BK in my situation feels like a cop out. I created this, I need to get out of it. If I felt the like coping out, I would swallow my pride and get a loan from my parents, and pay these all off.

I was always that kid, and still am in lots of ways, who had to stick the fork in the socket 8-9 times to learn that I shouldn't do it. And my dad was the kind that would let me knowing it makes for better lessons learned if you do it the hard way. Not to say he didn;t warn me, or try to stop me, but if I insisted on it, well, there ya go.

I am not saying BK is wrong, just for me, and my situation right now, it feels wrong.
Message 46 of 65
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

Thanks Midnight, I shall bookmark it and try to get a copy for something new to try.

A quote from the book (from memory)

A French Chef who lived in an efficiency apt was asked how he liked cooking in his bedroom.  The Frenchman looked down his nose at the questioner and said "I don't cook in my bedroom - I sleep in my kitchen"

Smiley Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 47 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

monro411 wrote:

In looking at his first post, it seems that he does not have the money for any PFD's.  I would say go ahead with a BK because if he does pay off the accounts in the next three years, the lates will be still on his CR 10 years from now.

How is it that you're concluding a late will still be there in 10 years?

Message 48 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

jaguls66 wrote:
If I felt the like coping out, I would swallow my pride and get a loan from my parents, and pay these all off.

Actually, if they would be willing to cosign a personal LOC for you, you get could PFD collections, have a good TL on your CRs, and be on the way to recovery in short order.

Asking for the money might be copping out, but asking for some help with a cosigned loan would, IMHO, be taking responsibility.

Something to consider.
Message 49 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Noah, gives me something to ponder over the W/E. Maybe I will approach one of them about helping get a LOC. PFD's seem like a good idea. Hopefully I will get a few poitive responses from the ones I have already sent for the little balances. >$100. Got one turn down already, but am sending another out monday higher up the food chain.
Message 50 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.