Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confessions of a Chase CSR

tag
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Confessions of a Chase CSR

This is a little old, but I just read "10 confessions of a Chase CSR". It's an interesting view into Chase. Since the article is from 2008, some of you may have already read it. Either way, it is a good read. 

http://consumerist.com/2008/01/04/10-confessions-of-a-chase-customer-service-rep/

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confessions of a Chase CSR

Pretty much still true to this day and not just for chase but other banks and heck, other lines of work with regards to CSRs

I am ALWAYS surprised by the hints of 'tude I pick up from a few individuals here and there and knowing that they probably toned it down to how they really are on the phone to the CSR, doesn't surprise me when they don't get what they want.

I've always bent over backwards for the folks that were nice, kept it short (I really don't need some long winded story and often halfway through I tone out) and to the point (is there anything you can do for me?).

for the folks that were rude, I would smile, follow P&P to the T and never put on my thinking cap to see what we can do. I would never advocate to the higher ups because why should I? I've done my part and have no compelling reason to go to the bat for someone whose first impression with me is rude.  The ones that save their own behinds is the ones that rant and rant but than once they've calmed down, apologized for their behavior, knowing it's not me or my fault but they're simply frustrated.

Message 2 of 6
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Pretty much still true to this day and not just for chase but other banks and heck, other lines of work with regards to CSRs

I am ALWAYS surprised by the hints of 'tude I pick up from a few individuals here and there and knowing that they probably toned it down to how they really are on the phone to the CSR, doesn't surprise me when they don't get what they want.

I've always bent over backwards for the folks that were nice, kept it short (I really don't need some long winded story and often halfway through I tone out) and to the point (is there anything you can do for me?).

for the folks that were rude, I would smile, follow P&P to the T and never put on my thinking cap to see what we can do. I would never advocate to the higher ups because why should I? I've done my part and have no compelling reason to go to the bat for someone whose first impression with me is rude.  The ones that save their own behinds is the ones that rant and rant but than once they've calmed down, apologized for their behavior, knowing it's not me or my fault but they're simply frustrated.

+1 Totally agree with everything. I used to answer the phone at my last job and anyone who called yelling and screaming got nothing out of me. Same with the people who insulted me or just were unpleasant. Being nicer gets you so much more!!! Smiley Happy 

I used to just quote policy and politely end the conversation to the rude ones. 

I also hated it when people would go on and on about the reason/excuses for what happened. To be honest, I don't really care. Keep it short and sweet. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 3 of 6
elim
Senior Contributor

eeeek.  I'm definitely a Non-Profit customer.  I imagine many of us here are.

Message 4 of 6
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

This is so accurate of myself it's not even funny!

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 5 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

"Back in the day" when I was in customer service, if somebody was genuine and treated me well, I would move Heaven and Earth to help them.  Most of my time in CS I actually served the 'supervisor' role, so when I did actually take general calls I could usually 'fix' anything that came up without even having to transfer the call - my customers were usually very pleased with me.  The truth is, all employees were 'empowered' but some were more comfortable than others (which is generally why calls had to go to a supervisor at all).

On the off chance that I got someone who wanted to be nasty, like others here have stated, I would be completely professional, nothing less, and definitely nothing more.  For those folks I would do only what was required, and if they escalated that was fine, too... then it was somebody else's problem (usually one of my own friends working the supv. desk that day).  By virtue of me transferring a call to "the desk", whoever was working the desk knew there was an issue or else I would have simply 'fixed' it - and at this point they went strictly by the book as well. 

Thankfully the 'nasty' customers were genuinely few and far between... I really believe most people are inherently good.  I actually enjoyed showing off my ability to 'wow' a customer when the opportunity presented itself, and fortunately I had a center manager who enjoyed the feedback from that as well, so she encouraged it openly.  It sounds rather corny, but her motto was, "The answer is yes, now what is the question?" and she really meant it, and wanted us to as well. 

TL;DR... while there are some bad apples (I've worked with a few that were horrible beyond hope) most CSRs want to do a good job.  I figure if can "help them help me" it's a win-win for everybody.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.