Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confessions...of a credit geek

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confessions...of a credit geek

I've started lecturing friends on credit, my girlfriend's mother and brother who just met me were asking me for advice on cleaning up their reports, raising scores, and applying for mortgages. It is crazy stuff. I have learned a lot on this site - sometimes I think I have learned too much. Smiley Very Happy
Message 21 of 47
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Have them join the fora, as you know already we don't bite.Smiley Happy
Message 22 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have learned so much from this forum about MyFICO but this has got to be the most pertient post that I have read. I find myself speaking to people about the importance of their fico score every single day. I think to myself some days that am not going to look at my report today. But before my head can hit the pillow my fingers are typing myfico.com. I know this is an addiction. But I have prayed about it and know if there is a 12 step program for other addictions their is one for myficoism as well. And one day when I have hit rock  bottom, drowned in a sea of cc idioms, rummaged through my purse for what seems like hours to my kids to find which card gives the greatest rebate  with the purchase at the time, checked and rechecked every date on my calender to PIF and finally faded to black on my Amex. I know that the 12 step program will be here for me like so many of you have been with me through the process of credit regeneration.   
Message 23 of 47
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

sealdog wrote:

I know this is an addiction. But I have prayed about it and know if there is a 12 step program for other addictions their is one for myficoism as well.

The MyFICO Forums 12 Step Program (For FICOholics)
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 24 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined this forum to win a credit score bet with my buddy, but now I'm obsessed and he's making fun of me for it!  I really have learned so much that I might never have known!  I love it!  I will never go into a credit transaction blindly again! 
Message 25 of 47
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Carrot1 wrote:

I will never go into a credit transaction blindly again! 

Knowledge is power
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 26 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have checked my credit daily for the last 3 months on TC. I have ran my FICO here for EX 3 times over the last 6 weeks...and I still am impatient. I know I have a problem but at this point I am powerless to resist. Btw, I'm waiting for Crown Jewelers to report too. They just shipped yesterday. I'll be PIF my CC today since it reports on Friday and that should lower my CC% to under 10% (last mo it was just over 80%). I'm finally doing everything right but the waiting for updates is pure torture!!!
Message 27 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am quickly becoming a closet credit card geek. It's just sped up because I have had a 20 point drop in my score of 725. But I know how I can fix it. Paying off or down my credit card debt.
Message 28 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

>>When I spend cash, I get a little thrill out of NOT using a credit card

I always consider using cash expensive.  I look at ATM fees as the avoidable premium for cash.  Sure, there are ways to avoid those ATM fees (like always using your bank's machines and getting cash back with debit card purchases) but it's so much easier for me to track my expenditures by monitoring my credit card online statements.  If I withdraw a few hundred dollars from the ATM, I'll have a difficult time reconciling what exactly I spent it on, especially during the monthly budget to actual review my wife and I do.   By downloading the credit card activity into Quicken, I have a total population of my expenditures.  If you throw cash outflows into the mix, things are not as clean.

If you factor in rewards points for using your credit card and if you pay your balance in full each month, it's difficult for me to justify using cash.  I've been off cash for about 2 years (for the most part).  By using your credit card for everyday operating expenses (food, gas, commuter fare, etc), you get to maintain your savings balance, earn 3.5 APY on your cash (or higher on better investments) and pay your balances in full each month.  You avoid the pointless ATM fees and take advantage of the 30 day credit card float.  If they are going to give me 30 days for free, I am going to take full advantage of that to maximize savings/short-term investment income.
Message 29 of 47
blue_moon
Established Member

Found your confessions to be absolutely hysterical.  I know the feeling as I've become obsessed with my own credit score.  I'm still on the road to recovery but at least  I'm finally in the good range at 663  and working hard to become a member of the 700 club.   Funny how something as simple as three numbers can totally alter your perspective.  As a single female I use to look  at guys in nice, expensive cars and think, "Wow, how sexy".  Now I can only think...I bet his credit score sucks...Thank you so much for the laugh.
Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.