Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused? Help!

tag
TULO30
Contributor

Confused? Help!

I have scores of 703 Equifax, 693 Experian, 699 Transunion.  I have one cc with a high balance (6K).  I am paying it down. 

I applied for AMEX Blue & Discover Motiva. I was approved for the Discover card with a cl of 10K.

But, AMEX denied me.  They pulled CR from Experian only and listed the following reasons for the denial:

Reason #1 - Unsatisfied account 90+days past due with a balance of $200 greater than one year.
Reason #2 - Account 90+ days past due in the last two years.

I pulled my credit report and disputed Reason #2 with the CRA.  Reason #2 was removed from the CRA. I could not find reason #1 on my report.

After Reason #2 was removed from the CRA. I submitted a letter to AMEX requesting they reconsider.  I indicated in the letter that the information they pulled was WRONG and had been corrected by the CRA.

AMEX sent me the exact same freaking letter that they sent me the first time I applied...with the EXACT SAME FREAKING RESPONSE!!!  AND there is no contact information on the letter or anything! UGH!!!  I know they pulled my report from Experian again because there is an inquiry on my report.  But, again, I can't find Reason #1 on my report and Reason #2 has been corrected with the CRA.

I am not sure what to do at this point. Should I request for a second time that they reconsider my request for an AMEX blue?  How can I go about calling someone if there is not a phone number listened on the letter I received?  I appreciate the advice!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TULO30
Contributor

Re: Confused? Help!

I just wanted to share insight that I now have regarding the denial of my AMEX application.  Keep in mind that my scores are 703 Equifax, 693 Experian, 699 Transunion.

I contacted AMEX to find out why I was denied the AMEX blue card.  I was told because of late payments.  I advised the AMEX rep that there have been no late payments on my CR since 2003 - it will be exactly 5 years ago in March 2008 since my last late payment.

I was advised that AMEX decided that the lates that I had in 2003 made me ineligible to receive an AMEX card.

When I spoke to the AMEX rep I tried to solicit some advice regarding when I could expect that the 2003 lates would not count against me.  I told the rep that I have several credit cards and absolutely no late payments in almost 5 years.  The rep said there is no rhyme or reason so to speak. 

He said that the AMEX card I applied for (Blue) is a much more difficult card to get than the AMEX green and I should apply for the green or the gold because my score is good enough.  I was hesitant, but I said okay.  So, he transferred me to another AMEX rep who took my information for an application on the green card.  The application was denied immediately.

I will more than likely have to wait 7 years until the lates that I had in 2003 drop off my CR.  When I had those lates in 2003 I was in job transition and just hit a rough spot.  I thought I had bounced back...I guess not!  It is still surprising though...because I know of others with lower scores than mine who have received AMEX cards.

Anyway, just food for thought for anyone who is interested.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't why people what a rewards card that requires you to interest to get rewarded?

but here is a thought.

Discover has a "minium" minium payment of $15

So what if the charge $16 each for 5 month making the $15 payment Then running up a balance 6th month making only the required $15 , collect their "reward" Then pay it all off the day after the 7th statement cut, then would only owe for one day the 8th statement?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to be off topic, but I was playing around the internet last night, and found this website:

http://www.lowcards.com/?utm_source=bankrate&utm_medium=bannerad1

You can choose to search for cc's given a "credit quality".

here's one that you type in your score( a given FICO range) and it brings up cc's appropriate for that scoring range, and gives you recommened minimum score for that particular cc:

http://www.lowcards.com/?utm_source=bankrate&utm_medium=bannerad1

Play around with it, and see what you come up with. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 6
TULO30
Contributor

Great idea! Thanks Sylvia. I am going to give it a try...
Message 5 of 6
TULO30
Contributor

Rbb...I totally miss your point?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.