Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused about collections

Hi,

This is my first posting, just want to say "thanks" to everyone for the great advice I've gotten so far from reading the threads.  I'm confused about whether a collection I paid for can be deleted before the 7-7.5 year time period passes.  After I got out of school 1 1/2 years ago, I had trouble finding a job and ended up not being able to pay my electric bill.  Got back to them the day after they sent it to collections for $336 (talk about agonizing over poor timing).  I called the collection agency, paid in full and on time according to the agreement we worked out, and it is listed as PIF on my reports.  I think it drags my scores down (EQ 678 on 4/18/08, not bad but could be better), so I wondered if there are any options besides waiting for time to pass?  I've paid everything on time for years before this and after, but this and my utilization being too high are dragging me down.  I'm digging myself out by paying extra every month and on time, but man!  It takes forever.  I've only gone up 28 points since last year at this time, so I'm wondering if the collection is still the problem.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Confused about collections

Since it is already paid, the best you can do is send a GW letter. Do you know who owns the debt, the OC or the CA.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

guiness56,

No, I'm not sure who owns it at this point.  If I found out, I suppose I could write to them (though I have no idea what incentive they might have to work with me at this point).  Is there a template for a GW letter, or can you tell me what I should be saying or asking?  Thanks very much for your response!
Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would call the OC and find out if they, or the CA owns it. OC are generally easier to work with. After you find out send a GW letter to whom ever owns the debt. You can do a search here for GW. They do not have to remove it, but it appears you paid it quickly. That might have some bearing.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.