Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusing and disappointing

tag
corkyduckfan
New Contributor

Confusing and disappointing

I am obviously not a very regular poster, but I do regularly view this site and spend many hours a week on it.  I have to say that I do not like the direction that some of the site seems to be taking.  There is still a lot of good info flowing here and it is helping some people.  That is good, but myfico was at one time more helpful and wasn't so nitpicky.  A lot of people are posting very serious and real questions on here that Moderators just don't seem to care about and are quick to dismiss.  It kind of takes on an heir of "Ask the right questions or we won't answer or help you"  Geewhiz, sorry for ever having a unique problem that isn't generic or basic like a lot of the stuff on here.  I predict that if a lot of good threads keep getting locked out that there will be less and less posts on here.  Maybe that is what Myfico is hoping for; I just don't know.  It is truly sad. I guess the consumer just has to keep taking a back seat to the machine and not fight true and accurate credit reports.  Having any kind of opinion or thought on this board anymore is just sacreligious.  I miss the old Myfico.  It was much more consumer friendly.  Having reported my extreme frustration with this subject, I will say that I do appreciate the Moderators taking the time to answer a lot of questions and actually help SOME consumers out.  Just more and more work for us undermanned consumers.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Confusing and disappointing

Hi, corkyduckfan, can you give some examples of what has been locked, etc. that seems different from in the past?

In general, we lock posts that sink into personal attacks on other members, drift into political content, and so forth. And in fact, we were recently given the green light to allow discussion of several topics that used to be instant doom.

These forums are different from other forums in that they are sponsored by a corporation, and so there have to be more limitations on what can be discussed. For instance, if we allowed discussion of unethical credit repair, or the various firms who promise to fix your credit for a fee, it would make FICO vulnerable to being labeled as a CRO (credit repair organization), putting it in an entirely different category for legal oversight.

You might not realize that all the moderators here are volunteers. We're not paid, and we certainly don't view ourselves as tools of myFICO. LOL, you should see some of our pm's to one another. We just try to help members out and generally keep the peace. But we're always interested in alternate viewpoints.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 10
Donks3369
Established Contributor

Corky,

I don't want to seem like a suckup here, but I think it is the overall attitute of people that has brought Myfico down a little bit, not the moderaters themselves.  In this economy I think people have gotten upset and impatient.  Individual posts have turned into fights that have nothing to do with the question being asked.  This is why I think posts are getting locked down.  I haven't seen any evidence of them locking a thread because they don't want to answer the question.

The mods on here are very helpful and knowledgable.  I think it is when posters start to criticize each other and tell them they are stupid for things such as getting too far into debt then it goes past the point of being rational.  Just my two cents though.

Message 3 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Hey CDF, I, too, would be interested in some specific examples. As HTSU said, sometimes our main job is keeping the peace and keeping the boards clean. Also, we don't know everything. There are many members here that are more knowledgeable than we are on a topic, simply because they have been through the situation personally. Personally, if I don't have a really good idea about the topic, I leave it to someone else to answer. Other than that, I think that we try to answer as many questions as we can (evidenced by our ridiculous post counts). Please do cite specific examples, so that we may address them. We are trying our best to do the right thing.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

ByrdMan wrote:

... Other than that, I think that we try to answer as many questions as we can (evidenced by our ridiculous post counts).

lol --Oh, shoot, there goes another one... Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 10
Donks3369
Established Contributor

HTSU,

Wow!!!  I didn't realize you were over 17000 posts.  You need to take a break or something.

Message 6 of 10
demi
Established Contributor

I have to support the moderators as well.  Having had a thread locked on my comment recently (and reopened) I could see why, it was headed into the political arena.  I think the MyFico people are providing us a fantastic service, and the moderators are great.  I think there have been a few (very few) extremely rude people in the year and half I have been hooked on the site, but for the most part, everyone is here to help and learn.  There are a lot of stories I read and bite my toungue, and I have a few times posted comments that were not appreciated.  Some times I feel people are writing to have there thoughts validated, and get nasty when it goes the opposite way.

OK, enough sucking up for today

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

demi wrote:

I have to support the moderators as well.  Having had a thread locked on my comment recently (and reopened) I could see why, it was headed into the political arena.  I think the MyFico people are providing us a fantastic service, and the moderators are great.  I think there have been a few (very few) extremely rude people in the year and half I have been hooked on the site, but for the most part, everyone is here to help and learn.  There are a lot of stories I read and bite my toungue, and I have a few times posted comments that were not appreciated.  Some times I feel people are writing to have there thoughts validated, and get nasty when it goes the opposite way.

OK, enough sucking up for today

Thanks for the support, and I will send the 20 FICO points, you were asking for, via snail mail.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Byrdman, you got my Christmas card right? Still waiting for my points, I know your good for it though. Smiley Happy
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 9 of 10
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Well since all the support is one sided, and many of you mods know I love you and we are friends, so nothing personal here, but to give the other side of the argument some devil's advocate, the mods are people and volunteers, tools or not, they are going to review each post through the lens of their own personal belief system. This means that something that may not offend anyone on the planet, might strike a chord with a mod that will blip it, edit it, remove it or even lock it. Its human nature and we have to take the more good they do against the occasional slips they make. To err is human, we can all appreciate that.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.