cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusing letters from CA. Any thoughts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confusing letters from CA. Any thoughts?

Today in the mail we got 2 letters from RMB, Inc on my husband's hospital bill. The first letter said he owed $13633.38 and needed to forward the amount in full immediately. The second letter is the one that has me scratching my head. I've posted the letter so you can see for yourself.

Account name: XXX
Client reference: XXX
Total due: $13633.38

Dear XXX,

Please be advised that the above referenced client has authorized a settlement on the account noted above. This settlement applies to only the account listed above and does not include any other accounts held by this client and/or our office.

The Approved settlement amount is $0.00 which must be in our office no later than . The payment must be in the form of certified funds (Cashier's Check or Money Order) or paid in cash at our office. If payment is not received by the this date, this offer will be void and the total will become due.

Please by sure to include the account number on your payment and send it to the above address.

Sincerely, CA worker & phone number

Then it just has the standard this communication is from a debt collector, etc after that. There is a payment coupon at the bottom of the letter showing amount due as $0.00. You'll probably notice that it never says what date the payment must be in by.

The account numbers, the OC, and the amounts are the same so it appears that both letters are for the same debt. The date is the same on both letters. Does this mean the hospital is forgiving the amount due or is this just some sneaky CA tactic?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confusing letters from CA. Any thoughts?

ncblondie wrote:
Today in the mail we got 2 letters from RMB, Inc on my husband's hospital bill. The first letter said he owed $13633.38 and needed to forward the amount in full immediately. The second letter is the one that has me scratching my head. I've posted the letter so you can see for yourself.

Account name: XXX
Client reference: XXX
Total due: $13633.38

Dear XXX,

Please be advised that the above referenced client has authorized a settlement on the account noted above. This settlement applies to only the account listed above and does not include any other accounts held by this client and/or our office.

The Approved settlement amount is $0.00 which must be in our office no later than . The payment must be in the form of certified funds (Cashier's Check or Money Order) or paid in cash at our office. If payment is not received by the this date, this offer will be void and the total will become due.

Please by sure to include the account number on your payment and send it to the above address.

Sincerely, CA worker & phone number

Then it just has the standard this communication is from a debt collector, etc after that. There is a payment coupon at the bottom of the letter showing amount due as $0.00. You'll probably notice that it never says what date the payment must be in by.

The account numbers, the OC, and the amounts are the same so it appears that both letters are for the same debt. The date is the same on both letters. Does this mean the hospital is forgiving the amount due or is this just some sneaky CA tactic?

I would treat that letter as GOLD.  Please do not take my word for this but what I would do is:

I would write a letter to all CRAs that are reporting...also copy of this letter asking for $0.00 owed. Tell CRAs that this letter states that you owe NOTHING and please delete!!!  worth a chance.

IF sued yes maybe they made a mistake but in my opinion I would go to court with this letter stating that the amount owed is $0.00.

NEVER talk to any CA on the phone!!!!!!!

Message Edited by HappyDays on 11-07-2007 12:43 PM
Message 2 of 3
Ausfarm
Regular Contributor

Re: Confusing letters from CA. Any thoughts?

I would guess that the CA made a mistake and somehow the blanks in their pre-form letter weren't filled in.  If it happened to you, it probably happened to others.  I would imagine one of the others is going to call them and when they discover what they did they'll send you a follow-up, please disregard letter. 

I would consider the letter an offer, not an enforceable contract.  To have a contract you have 3 components:  offer, acceptance, and consideration.   What they sent you, I believe, is an offer.   You'd have to accept the offer and there'd have to be consideration to have an enforceable contract.  It seems like you can't accept though.  After all, you can't send a payment of $0 via certified check.  Also, where's the consideration?  In other words, what are you exchanging for this deal? 

You can try disputing it and providing a copy of this letter, but don't do so confident that the letter necessarily means the debt is gone.

Message Edited by Ausfarm on 11-07-2007 01:22 PM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.