motivated

Consolidating loans; will it help or hurt my score?

I recently consolidated my student loans. One loan dates back almost 7 years ago, while the other opened in 10/06 when I started school again. Will this affect my score in a negative way and will it be considered a new account? I also wanted to know if I should get a secured card to improve my scores. I currently have a dept. store card and pay regularly on that. Will the revolving card and making timely payments on my consolidation be enough to improve my scores?                                                               Thanx 
irmat

Re: Consolidating loans; will it help or hurt my score?

I'm pretty sure that consoidating loans lowers your score.  It changes your debt to income ratio hence, lowering your score.  The best advice anyone ever gave me was "never create new debt from old debt".
Senior Contributor
Noah_Bodie

motivated

My scores are 659, 546, and 569
Senior Contributor
Noah_Bodie

Do you have any late pays, collections or charge offs? For a difference that big, it seems there are likely other negatives pulling down your scores.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}