Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidation Loan to Pay off Credit Cards

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Consolidation Loan to Pay off Credit Cards

@llecs wrote:

Your CCs won't know where the money came from. They'd view it as a large payment, if that's what you are doing. You'd see a hit for the new loan, but that will be trumped in a big way by the improvement in utilization. You should see a nice increase. I did the same over a year ago...and ditto, reverse the habits that got you there. It's easy to fall back again.

Where did you get your loan?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 11 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Lending Club.

Message 12 of 19
Spike72

I applied for a consolidation loan with the Lending Club and this was an interesting experience.  They say that when you apply for a loan,

they will check your FICO reports, but it will not affect your score?  I have learned that each time any lender prospect or lender per se checks

your report, it dings your score downward for up to 12 points!   So that is a prevarication by the lending club, or at least an equivocation of the

statement.  Furthermore, after that they send messages regarding how your loan app is progressing through their system, stating that each

day, their investors contribute what they will, and it says that your loan is now 60% funded (as an example.)  Then, they require a form 4806

which is an IRS form that you agree to divulge to the lending club, whatever your tax transcript reveals.  Then, they require the last two years

of your tax returns to verify your income.  They give you two weeks from the app date, to complete the loan or cancel it.  I cancelled mine because

I could not provide the returns in a timely manner as my tax people were not available during this period prior to the tax season starting in January 2012.

It would report as an installment on your FICO, like a car purchase for example, which is not part of your credit card utilization mix. 

The biggest problem is that if you do get approved, you should never use credit cards again, unless you pay them off each month.  The credit card

companies are looking for every way in order to ding your account with fees.  If you try to cancel your card(s) it will ding your FICO downward, so my

advice is to pay them off monthly, and DO NOT USE THEM UNLESS YOU CAN PAY OFF MONTHLY!  They will offer deals to get you back into debt,

so BEWARE and Good Luck to all and have a HAPPY NEW YEAR IN 2012!  I do hope that this info helps whomever needs, reads, and heeds this info.

Message 13 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Their statement is true about checking credit and no score impact. They'll pull a soft inquiry to check your credit, as opposed to a hard inquiry which may or may not hurt. And it is true they report as an installment only on TU and EX. For whatever reason they don't report on EQ. And most def...don't re-add the debt.

Message 14 of 19
lithium78
Established Contributor

Consolidation loans can be a great way to pay down your debt.  Instead of several CC bills, you have one installment bill and the interest rate is usually much lower than what you pay on most credit cards.  The utilization rate on your CCs drops to O% which helps your scores and as you pay your installment loan it helps your payment history, which in the long term can help raise your FICO scores too.

Once your credit cards are consolidated, you have to consider them to just be debit cards.  If they are rewards cards, you can earn a bunch of extra money or get merchandise without spending more than you can pay off within a month.  I balanced transferred all my credit card debt onto one card at 0% interest and I've earned $200 worth of rewards without interest payments over the past six months because I stayed within my means.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 19
arlibguy
Valued Member

Bad Advice (no offense).  You don't want ANY statements on your credit reports indicating you had to go to counseling to manage credit.  Who would give you a loan then?  I completed consumer credit counseling back in my early 20's and years later,  when buying a new car and when talking to a lender about mortgage, was told by both that these are looked upon as badly as a bankruptcy.  Maybe FICO doesn't score it like a bk, but it looks BAD.

My friend was in a debt management program through a reputable Consumer Credit Counseling Service (CCCS). He had no problem getting an auto loan for a new car with a competitive rate.

Starting Score: 10-2011 TU-08 FICO 725 (Walmart) / EQ FICO 683 (MyFICO)
Current Score: 10-2015 TU 780 / EQ 802 / EX 784 [Mortgage app]
Message 16 of 19
q_thurst
Valued Member

I just applied for a loan with the Lending Club and was declined with a score of 652! 

Here are the reasons they gave me for the decline: 

Serious delinquency,Proportion of balances to credit limits is too high on bank revolving or other revolving accounts,Length of time accounts have been established,Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high.The foregoing are the factors provide by the reporting agency that resulted in your credit score being below our minimum credit score requirement.

Message 17 of 19
FrugalRican
Blogger

@orky626 wrote:

How are consolidation loans viewed?  Are they looked at in the same light as credit counseling - BAD?  I was thinking of getting a consolidation loan to pay off three credit cards:  THOUGHTS???

NFCU NRewards - $6700 (limit 7k)

NFCU Cash Rewards - $4200 (limit 4500)

Commerce Credit Union Visa - $4500 (limit 7k)

They are viewed as.... loans.

BTW, I know a few have made the point, but I'll repeat it, you are consolidating about $15,000 in CC debt.

Analyze WHY you got there and what you need to do to NOT get there again.

Because a consolidation loan is nice and everything, but if you don't change the habits that got you to that point, you are going to repeat the same mistakes and run up another $15,000. And then, you'll have a nice installment loan and three CC's to pay all over again.

And that's the real danger with installment loans, people tend to have this idea that because their CC balances are at zero, that it is okay to spend again on them. I'd only use them if I was going to consider PIF each and every month.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 18 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@q_thurst wrote:

I just applied for a loan with the Lending Club and was declined with a score of 652! 

Here are the reasons they gave me for the decline: 

Serious delinquency,Proportion of balances to credit limits is too high on bank revolving or other revolving accounts,Length of time accounts have been established,Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high.The foregoing are the factors provide by the reporting agency that resulted in your credit score being below our minimum credit score requirement.

I'm a lender and borrower on Lending Club. IIRC, they have a requirement of 660 for your TU FICO (same TU FICO version as found on myFICO). They also don't like baddies inside of 2 years. But I got my loan with 89% util w/ 1 baddie at 6+ yrs.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.