Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer Finance Question.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consumer Finance Question.

Hello, I have 3 consumer finance loans (Citifinancial) on my reports. 2 are paid in full and closed, the other is 40% paid off, dating from Oct. 04 to present. There are no late payments on any of these loans. I’ve been reading here that a CFL can ding your score. If 1 is bad then 3 must be 3 times as bad. In anyone’s opinion would it be beneficial to see if they would delete the 2 old accounts? Does the payment history out weigh the CFL brand? All comments welcome. Thank you.     

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Consumer Finance Question.

johnqcustomer wrote:

Hello, I have 3 consumer finance loans (Citifinancial) on my reports. 2 are paid in full and closed, the other is 40% paid off, dating from Oct. 04 to present. There are no late payments on any of these loans. I’ve been reading here that a CFL can ding your score. If 1 is bad then 3 must be 3 times as bad. In anyone’s opinion would it be beneficial to see if they would delete the 2 old accounts? Does the payment history out weigh the CFL brand? All comments welcome. Thank you.     

I've been told to leave mine on the CR because overall they help more than they hurt.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

johnqcustomer wrote:

IMO  leave them alone. They go toward length of history.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, to answer your first question, three CFLs do not hurt your score more than one does.  This is counterintuitive, but you are dinged only for the presence of one or more CFLs on your reports, not incrementally for each new one.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.