Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer Finance.gov credit dispute filing

tag
Slab
Frequent Contributor

Consumer Finance.gov credit dispute filing

Has anyone had any experience with consumerfinance.gov in disputing errors on your credit file? I filed a complaint through them for a Hard Inquiry that a collection agency pulled on a debt that had fallen off my report over 5 years ago. The debt was charged off in 2001 so, I assume the collection agency wanted to ding my credit with a hard pull since they knew they didn't have any other recourse.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Consumer Finance.gov credit dispute filing

Sorry no had responded to this before, but I don't see a basis for a complaint.  There's nothing that prevents them from pulling your credit if they have permissable purpose.  Even though the debt is passed the SOL and CRTP doesn't mean it's not a valid debt.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 8
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Sorry no had responded to this before, but I don't see a basis for a complaint.  There's nothing that prevents them from pulling your credit if they have permissable purpose.  Even though the debt is passed the SOL and CRTP doesn't mean it's not a valid debt.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have been informed that a CA has permissable purpose to pull a credit report however, they normally do a soft inquiry which pretty much accomplishes the same thing  I would assume. Business is business and I realize the CA is trying to make money but this appears to be a clear attempt to damage my credit with a hard pull which allows that other lenders will see when they do a hard pull to give me a loan, etc. I understand that a bad debt appearing on ones credit report for 7 to 10 years is a penalty impossed for bad credit behavior and I had assumed that the laws were written for the lenders and for the consumers. It's just my opinion that the law has a loophole that the CAs can easily exploit once they realize that they have no chance of collecting. In another word, vengeance. I also realize that I am not the only person that this happened to but others might not realize their credit has flaws that are questionable. I have given my reasons for questioning the CAs ability to extend the amount of time that they can affect ones cerdit. Now, my question is how I can require the CA to provide me with the means in which they obtained the debt and how much they have invested in aquiring the debt? I'm not belittling your response as to permissable purpose, I'm just questioning whether this collecton agency actually does have PP. Thank you for reading all of this and for your answer if your so desire to answer my questions. 

Message 3 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Don't get me wrong.  I totally agree with you.  I don't think they should be able to pull a HP outside the SOL of the debt, much less if it's past the CRTP.   But that's not how the system currently works.

Now there are instances where the CA pulls a HP multiple times, and this is considered harrassment, but one, or an occassional HP by a CA is not against any rules, ridiculous as I might think it is.

Yes, they can get the same info via a SP, but they are doing a HP in the hopes you will pay for them to stop.

As far as the means to which they acquired the debt, or who the OC was, that is accomplished with a DV.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 8
Slab
Frequent Contributor

Thanks a lot for the information and it makes sense. If I might ask, would I be able to obtain the DV and how could I aquire it? I don't know what the debt is for but assume it is an old credit card debt. I have one of these hard inquiries from 2 different CAs, one on my EQ and the other on my TU. Your help is appreciated.

Message 5 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You send them a letter, simple and to the point.

You have pulled my credit report from____on____.  Per FDCPA 809 please validate this alleged debt.  Include the name and address of the Original Creditor and an itemization of the debt.

Just type your name, do not sign it.  Send it CMRRR.

They do not have to tell you how much they paid to acquire the debt. 

Message 6 of 8
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

You send them a letter, simple and to the point.

You have pulled my credit report from____on____.  Per FDCPA 809 please validate this alleged debt.  Include the name and address of the Original Creditor and an itemization of the debt.

Just type your name, do not sign it.  Send it CMRRR.

They do not have to tell you how much they paid to acquire the debt. 

Thanks a lot guiness56, I really appreciate you and shogun giving me such great advise and I will send the letters out today. You guys are great and I knew someone would eventually reply to my post. This is what makes this the most informative credit forum available.

Message 7 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.