Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convergent Solutions (phantom debt?)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Convergent Solutions (phantom debt?)

Hey all!
I'm new here, and on my iPhone so this isn't exactly user friendly at this point. So I apologize if this isn't the right place for this (I hope it is).

I have a credit score in the 700s, I use Credit Karma and get my FICO score regularly through my banking institution. I know what i have going on in my financial life...or so I thought!

Allow me to explain: I very recently switched my prepaid phone service from Straight Talk to Verizon. I've had Verizon for little over two months. The monthly fee is automatically charged to my credit card every month, as such there's been absolutely NO chance of having any "pre-collection" from Verizon, right? (Not to mention, its prepaid. I don't pay, I don't have service!)

Well, I've been receiving calls from the same number for the last week or so, and today I finally answered.
The man on the other end stated that they were calling because of a Verizon account that was in "pre-collection." I informed him that was impossible since I had only just retained Verizon prepaid services. He asked for my phone number so he could verify my information. When I gave it to him, he said "I'm sorry, I can't verify any account with that number." So I again stated that there shouldn't be an account in pre collections at all.

I ended the phone call without giving them further information.
I began researching this company, and boy, are they something else!

I'm here today because after reading some horror stories about Convergent solutions, I want to prepare myself for battle! I've noticed that there are a few individuals out there, like myself, that seem to have phantom debt collections and calls from Convergent, and in some instances it appears on their credit reports!!!! Many of these people do not have any collections, and I am ABSOLUTELY positive that I do not.

I'm hoping to get some assistance and insight from you wonderful folks about how I might either:

a) PREVENT a fraudulent debt collection from Convergent on my Credit report or

b) REMOVE any fraudulent debt collection from Convergent that could be placed there.

Your sage advice is eagerly solicited and greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Convergent Solutions (phantom debt?)

Welcome to the forums!

It seems like the most straightforward step is to contact Verizon and ask them if they know anything about it.  When you do, document in your own notes the date and time of your call with Verizon, the first name of every person you speak with (and in which order you speak with them) and the substance of what they say.

There's a real possibility that a truly delinquent Verizon account belonging to someone else has somehow been erroneously associated with you.  If your phone number is fairly new that is even more likely.  Even if it isn't it's quite possible.  Your name may be identical with some bad apple amongst V's customers, etc. 

I had something like this happen to me, though it was far more benign.  In my case I discovered that someone's cell phone account had been erroneously reported on my NCTUE report.  NCTUE stands for the National Consumer Telecom & Utilities Exchange.  They are a CRA, like Equifax and Experian and TransUnion.  But they specialize in things that are telecom accounts (phone services, cable TV, etc.) and utilities (natural gas, electricity, water).  I found this out because I pulled my NCTUE report, just to see what was on it.  The account was in good standing, but it was definitely not mine.  I figured out after doing some detective work that the problem was they had erroneously assigned the account to me, because the guy had moved into my apartment after I had moved out -- i.e. we both had the same address.

As I say, my situation was benign, since his account was in good standing.  But it could have turned out very ugly if he had stopped paying his bill at any point.  The bad bill would have been attributed to me.  So I worked with NCTUE and the cell phone provider to get the account deleted from my report.

Regardless, you have time before this actually goes into collection, so I'd use that time to chat with Verizon and sort this out.

Curious to hear if others with more experience in this sort of thing have any advice.

Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They made an initial communication with you regarding an alleged debt.

That triggered their obligation to send you a formal collection ("dunning") notice within 5 days thereafter.   See FDCPA 809(a).

It also provides you the opportunity to send a DV request.  If you send either prior to receipt of dunning notice, or within 30 days after receipt of dunning notice, your DV will be timely, and thus impose an automatic cease collection bar on the debt collector.   See FDCPA 809(b).

I would wait a few days to see if you get a dunning notice, which will provide more info regarding their collection, such as their collection account number.

However, if you have enough info to identify their collection based on their phone call, you can send immediately to block any collection activities until they have first sent validation of the debt. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate it!

I wasn't able to get enough information from them on the phone to identify the debt. They just told me it was from Verizon and was in "pre-collections." I've never had Verizon before, and I have had their prepaid for just two months. I'm 100% confident that this debt isn't mine. I will be calling Verizon here very shortly, just so that I can document that I did so. But I'm certain beyond any doubt that I have no debt with Verizon, and I know I have no debt in collections on my Credit.

What should I do in the event that I don't receive a "dunning" notice? Will that matter in terms of me trying to validate the debt?

I read that a DV doesn't actually cause a "cease collection" bar and that all it does is give the debt collector cause to pursue you more strongly because so few people follow through with contacting the agencies and ignore them. Once you send a DV, it signals to them that you're more willing to settle? (What are your thoughts on this?)

I have no debts to settle, so I say that out of curiosity on whether or not it will assist me.

At this point, they haven't posted anything on my credit report. I just find it HIGHLY peculiar that a two short months after I get a Verizon account that I suddenly start getting these calls.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

P.S. Im hesitant to give this agency any of my identifying information for fear they will try to put this unfounded debt on my account. Is this irrational?

I've blocked their number on my phone to prevent them from contacting me. I know I haven't got a debt with Verizon, I just don't want to aid them in thinking that I do and use my information against me.

How much support can I expect from the Credit Bureaus with this sort of situation?

What if Convergent Solutions refuses to cooperate with me? (I've read many instances wheee they simply will not listen to anyone about disputing the debt, and that they threaten you on occasion). Im just at a loss here. I have no idea how best to proceed and still protect my credit against a malicious collector trying to get money out of me from a debt that doesn't exist! Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FDCPA 809(b) Disputed debts
If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) of this section that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector. Collection activities and communications that do not otherwise violate this subchapter may continue during the 30-day period referred to in subsection (a) unless the consumer has notified the debt collector in writing that the debt, or any portion of the debt, is disputed or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor. Any collection activities and communication during the 30-day period may not overshadow or be inconsistent with the disclosure of the consumer’s right to dispute the debt or request the name and address of the original creditor.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, got it!
So, what if I don't receive any sort of letter in the mail from them?

When I called them all I gave them was my phone number, they didn't even have my name. They told me they had no information on file for my number, which I thought was odd considering they were telling me I had this debt!?

I just got off the phone with Verizon, they told me that my account was in good standing and that I had no collections or issues. (They lady said that a balance owing would be impossible since I had a prepaid account. My thoughts exactly).

I don't know if I should ignore Convergent, or send them a letter which would arm them with more identifying information about me, especially considering I know this is all a scam.

Thoughts?
Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The cease collection bar is imposed by a DV that is sent either prior to receipt of a dunning notice, or within the 30-day period set in a dunning notice.

I would send a DV, providing your name, the name of the asserted creditor, and amount of the debt.  That should be adequate identification.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.