cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Skymiles to Clear or Blue...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Converting Skymiles to Clear or Blue...

@Anonymous wrote:
Considering the clear has no late, overlimit, annual, balance transfer or cash advance fees I would think it would be harder to get than the blue. It is a matter of risk.

It is harder to get. Clear > Blue. Smiley Happy
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently you can only convert when activating the card, I just called to inquire, prior to getting my card in the mail, and I was told by the CSR that I would have to reapply in order to get a different card. 
Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Clear has a minimum CL of $4,000 - AMEX Blue has a minimum CL of $1,000.

As it is harder to get a card with a CL of 4K over one that is 1K, Clear is harder to get than Blue.
Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes sense to me, I would try for the Blue then... I would ask you this though... I applied and was approved on the 20th, if I wanted to just flat out apply for the Blue now online, would they pull another hard INQ into my credit or would they realize that I had just applied for the other and just use that info again?
Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
That makes sense to me, I would try for the Blue then... I would ask you this though... I applied and was approved on the 20th, if I wanted to just flat out apply for the Blue now online, would they pull another hard INQ into my credit or would they realize that I had just applied for the other and just use that info again?

Since you are reapplying, you are giving them authorization to go mess with your credit once again. It's mostly automated I believe.
Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX = 1 Hard per 1 Application

Only credit unions will process several applications using 1 Inq within a certain time frame.

For CLIs AMEX generally uses your history with them, so a good payment history could lead to CLI and that could lead to a possible card upgrade all without a HARD Inq.
Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm... Okay, Thanks for the input!  I'll wait 'til I get the card and ask to convert then, I really don't have a need for two Amex cards, as I am in the process of requesting a recon with Citi... We'll see how well that goes first...
Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
For CLIs AMEX generally uses your history with them, so a good payment history could lead to CLI and that could lead to a possible card upgrade all without a HARD Inq.

Really??!! Sweet deal! I'll wait a couple more months for my CLI on the Blue. I want to see if they can automatically increase my limit. Thanks!
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.