Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrections to my credit report

tag
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Corrections to my credit report

I've noticed quite a while ago that TU has a few errors on the CR.  Not credit errors, but spelling errors in my previous employer, addresses, job title, etc.  Do you think it is worth while asking them to make the changes/corrections or will there be any negative reactions like a decrease score by doing this?  For some reason they keep records of my credit history and employment record longer than 6 years (back to 1989!) including accounts that have been dead long ago.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Corrections to my credit report

@Roarmeister wrote:

I've noticed quite a while ago that TU has a few errors on the CR.  Not credit errors, but spelling errors in my previous employer, addresses, job title, etc.  Do you think it is worth while asking them to make the changes/corrections or will there be any negative reactions like a decrease score by doing this?  For some reason they keep records of my credit history and employment record longer than 6 years (back to 1989!) including accounts that have been dead long ago.

I wouldn't bother making the changes, I don't have current employer information on all my reports and I've never been questioned about it.   FICO scoring does not take employment or salary information into consideration, so it will not affect your scores either way.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Employers and job titles, probably not.

Addresses, probably so.  Current and prior addresses are one of the fall-back matching criteria used to ensure that reported information is properly matched to the correct consumer file.  While SSN and full name are the most important, if any reporting contains errors in those numbers, address could become a factor.

Message 3 of 11
Duke-of-Earl
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Addresses, probably so.  Current and prior addresses are one of the fall-back matching criteria used to ensure that reported information is properly matched to the correct consumer file.  While SSN and full name are the most important, if any reporting contains errors in those numbers, address could become a factor.

Interesting point.  Now I'm wondering how accurate this info has to be.  I notice that TU consistently omits the NE (northeast) quadrant designation from my addresses.  I never worried about this before, but if the matching is done by a computer, perhaps this could make it fail.

Also, is there any harm if an address appears where I haven't lived for 18 years?

Thanks.

Starting Score: EQ 804 - (April 2009)
Upgraded thanks to FICO Forums: EQ 813 / EX 842 / TU 823 - (FICO scores from mortgage lenders, June 2010)
Recent Scores: EQ 807 / TU 799 - (March 2012)
Goal: Survive Another Day
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Duke-of-Earl wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

Interesting point.  Now I'm wondering how accurate this info has to be.  I notice that TU consistently omits the NE (northeast) quadrant designation from my addresses.  I never worried about this before, but if the matching is done by a computer, perhaps this could make it fail.

Also, is there any harm if an address appears where I haven't lived for 18 years?

Thanks.

Is this address showing as current ?   Or just one of your address in your history.....?

Message 5 of 11
Duke-of-Earl
Regular Contributor

It's just one of two "previous addresses".  But the EQ report (bought via FICO) includes a "Reported on" date of Mar 2011.  I lived there in 1992-94.

Starting Score: EQ 804 - (April 2009)
Upgraded thanks to FICO Forums: EQ 813 / EX 842 / TU 823 - (FICO scores from mortgage lenders, June 2010)
Recent Scores: EQ 807 / TU 799 - (March 2012)
Goal: Survive Another Day
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Duke-of-Earl wrote:

It's just one of two "previous addresses".  But the EQ report (bought via FICO) includes a "Reported on" date of Mar 2011.  I lived there in 1992-94.

I wouldn't worry about it, as long as it isn't showing as your current address.
Message 7 of 11
2NE1
Established Contributor

If it was 'reported on March 2011' perhaps it's because one of your accounts still reports that address. Did you apply to any new credit with that address when you used to live there?

For example: in my case, I lived at a different county 7 years ago when I applied to my student loans, now that I've had two changes of addresses in the last 6 years, I tried to get get the CRAs to remove the 7 year old address but CSR told me it can't be done because my student loans are still reporting that old address even though they send their statements to my current address. But honestly I wouldn't bother having old addresses deleted unless they never belonged to me, cause then that would be a problem of ID theft.
Message 8 of 11
MattH
Senior Contributor

I don't worry about such small details so long as the substantive information is correct. Actually I find small variations in my address are interesting because they can indicate whose database was the source of a particular junk mail item.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 9 of 11
marty56
Super Contributor

@MattH wrote:
I don't worry about such small details so long as the substantive information is correct. Actually I find small variations in my address are interesting because they can indicate whose database was the source of a particular junk mail item.

Funny you mention that since I had my name corrected on my EQ CR which was listed as Martine and I would get pre-approval offers for Martine from time to time, so obviously they pulled from EQ.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.