Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could I have a split file?!

tag
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Could I have a split file?!

Over the last couple of years, I have noticed that some apps come back declined because they were unable to pull Equifax.

It is not frozen.

I have frozen it a couple of times, but it was an act of congress to lift it so I decided to leave it Hot and Sweaty.

I have had an auto loan app, twice with a Credit union for 2 different types of credit and now a Lowe's business app.

For the credit union, I called and they verified that they could not find a file or were unable to pull.

The next day, I called again and they were able to pull it. We were both confused.

Lowes just plain said that I didn't have a file to pull.

I have called Equifax and was told everything was fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Could I have a split file?!

I read to many soft pulls could cause this. Some say it is not an issue but I am always worried about my EQ score. I decided to limit personally pulling my score from anywhere to once maybe every two weeks. To try and avoid what I see people posting about. I do get notices from credit karma and credit sesame even when I don't sign in so hopefully they are not sp me to get those updates. 

When I got my annual credit reports EQ had three times as many soft pulls than the other two. This is what got me to start reading about why.

Message 2 of 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

No clue Woody but Equifax is the bane of my credit existance. Ever since i froze it ive had nothing but problems. Cant even access it properly without unfreezing which is a pain in the behind so for credit unions who pull it im kinda screwed but maybe one day when there should be no hps on it ill unfreeze it lol. I feel you though . EQ has a way of messing with our mindsSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought I had lost my mind - but once again the forums have saved what little is left. I have been on the phone and mailing back and forth with Equifax and Transunion both because of similar issues and I finally happened across the term "split file".  I had never heard it before; it's such an abstract concept that it never came up in any of my research but I think this is my problem.

My last call to Equifax the rep asked me rather weird verification questions, ones that went above and beyond the normal -- did you have X account in 2016 sort.  And finally she came back on the line to tell me that there was a lot of junk in my file.  Knowing full well that they have to disclose whats in my file, I kept pressing for more information.  She wouldn't budge.  Then she finally asks me to fax in all this information to verify who I am and that it would help "fix my file".  I'm unusually skeptical about Equifax lately (for obvious reasons) and so I was reluctant to send them everything they wanted, at least not without further information about what happened and how to prevent it in the future.

I think it all started with a creditor reporting into one CRA that I was dead.  I wasn't quite sure how to respond to that until I found out it has happened to other people.  Dead people make the worst loan applicants, I agree, but I am relatively sure I am still quite alive.  I fixed that by sending in my driver license and a picture of me holding that day's NYTimes.  It wasn't what they asked for but I figure a bit of humor might get me some karma or good will somewhere down the line.  But to this day it is still an issue.  

I just pulled it now (for some reason it never let me pull it online before, this time -- not a problem) and is it possible that I'm seeing a versionn of my report that up until now i have never seen before in the 6+ months I've been trying to rebuild?  There are now things on here that I have never seen before.

Message 4 of 5
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

...I think it all started with a creditor reporting into one CRA that I was dead.  I wasn't quite sure how to respond to that until I found out it has happened to other people.  Dead people make the worst loan applicants, I agree, but I am relatively sure I am still quite alive.  I fixed that by sending in my driver license and a picture of me holding that day's NYTimes.  It wasn't what they asked for but I figure a bit of humor might get me some karma or good will somewhere down the line.  But to this day it is still an issue.  

It most definately earned you a Kudo from me, very well played. Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.