Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cpn number ...??

tag
Poorboi
Contributor

Cpn number ...??

What is this CPN number thing?  I'm hearing it's a new way to a fresh start...is it legal

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cpn number ...??

@Poorboi wrote:

What is this CPN number thing?  I'm hearing it's a new way to a fresh start...is it legal

Legit? No.  Since I noticed that there are sites that we cannot link to (they appear to be competitors), I will just say that I found info on a competing site, won't mention which one, but just copy and paste this little tidbit:

"According to the Federal Trade Commission, lying on a credit application and misrepresenting your Social Security number are both federal crimes."

Message 2 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cpn number ??

@Poorboi wrote:

what the heck is a cpn number, I'm hearing it's the new way to start over.. Any input or info

Not really.  Top two hits on Google:

https://www.credit.com/personal-finance/credit-privacy-number/

https://www.creditsesame.com/blog/one-way-ticket-jail-credit-privacy-number/

        
Message 3 of 7
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

Re: CPN number ?

It's pretty illegal. They usually use old SSNs or the SSNs of minors to force new credit files into CRAs. There are legal CPNs for high profile people but the ones used for credit services are usually illegal.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 4 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

In short looks pretty illegal!

Message 5 of 7
jbsea
Established Contributor

Wow, I had not even hard of it... People are always looking for the easy way to fix things.  The problem with that is that you dont learn what went wrong.  I'm not really happy that I had to learn the hard way but if I didnt I still would not know 10% of what I know now.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jbsea wrote:

Wow, I had not even hard of it... People are always looking for the easy way to fix things.  The problem with that is that you dont learn what went wrong.  I'm not really happy that I had to learn the hard way but if I didnt I still would not know 10% of what I know now.

+1

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.