Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Credit History for Relative Help Needed

tag
ficus
Regular Contributor

Create Credit History for Relative Help Needed

I'd like to know if adding my mother, who currently has absolutely NO credit history to speak of, to all my cards as an authorized user, would essentially be a good way to create and thus establish a good credit history for her.

In fact, she already has 3 cards (BofA, Amex and Discover) under her name; these are additional user cards, however, that are attached to my cc accounts. She is not an authorized user by any means. She does receive solicitations, but I've already tried pulling a report on her name, and there currently no credit history that exists in her name. In fact, we don't need to apply for new cards in her name. I simply wish to create a credit history for her by way of having her listed as an authorized user on my cards.

Course of action, tips, things to avoid, how it might impact my credit history, etc. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Create Credit History for Relative Help Needed

@ficus wrote:

I'd like to know if adding my mother, who currently has absolutely NO credit history to speak of, to all my cards as an authorized user, would essentially be a good way to create and thus establish a good credit history for her.

In fact, she already has 3 cards (BofA, Amex and Discover) under her name; these are additional user cards, however, that are attached to my cc accounts. She is not an authorized user by any means. She does receive solicitations, but I've already tried pulling a report on her name, and there currently no credit history that exists in her name. In fact, we don't need to apply for new cards in her name. I simply wish to create a credit history for her by way of having her listed as an authorized user on my cards.

Course of action, tips, things to avoid, how it might impact my credit history, etc. Thanks in advance.

I don't understand, she has 3 AU cards in her name but she is not an AU? 

Message 2 of 10
ficus
Regular Contributor

She is not an AU with these CC companies, as they've never asked for her social security number. Otherwise, she'd indeed have a credit history of her own. She has NO credit history. These lenders offer an additional card (in a different name) to simply be attached to my account. That's what she has, but other than her name, they don't have any other personal information about her.

Message 3 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ficus wrote:

She is not an AU with these CC companies, as they've never asked for her social security number. Otherwise, she'd indeed have a credit history of her own. She has NO credit history. These lenders offer an additional card (in a different name) to simply be attached to my account. That's what she has, but other than her name, they don't have any other personal information about her.

Of that list, Amex should have asked for her SSN.  Call them and give the info and will report.  The others are AUs but they might be a problem with matching her information to you - and that is the CRAs and there matching criteria. 

If your last names and/or addresses are dissimilar you will have issues.  

Message 4 of 10
ficus
Regular Contributor

As I remember, they did indeed ask for her SSN, yet they didn't insist on it, so if they have it, they didn't get it from me.

So, ideally providing them with her SSN would provide them 'coordinates' to send payment info to CRA's?

The others also never asked for SSN. It's quite strange, really, that they never insisted. In fact, with Amex I have 4 additional user cards, all in different names. Never had to provide SSN.

By the way, our address is the same, but the names are indeed very dissimilar.

Message 5 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ficus wrote:

As I remember, they did indeed ask for her SSN, yet they didn't insist on it, so if they have it, they didn't get it from me.

So, ideally providing them with her SSN would provide them 'coordinates' to send payment info to CRA's?

The others also never asked for SSN. It's quite strange, really, that they never insisted. In fact, with Amex I have 4 additional user cards, all in different names. Never had to provide SSN.

By the way, our address is the same, but the names are indeed very dissimilar.

The other lenders will not ask for her SSN as she is not the primary cardholder.  I would surmise that the last name difference is kicking it out from the CRAs. Keep in mind that each CRAs has their own internal procedures for matching AUs. 

Message 6 of 10
ficus
Regular Contributor

Are you suggesting that perhaps the CRA do indeed have a credit history for my mom, or that they couldn't match the name after all, and the reporting just isn't happening?

Here is something interesting. One of the 4 additional cards from Amex is even under a made-up name. I hardly use it, but nontheless.

Message 7 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ficus wrote:

Are you suggesting that perhaps the CRA do indeed have a credit history for my mom, or that they couldn't match the name after all, and the reporting just isn't happening?

Here is something interesting. One of the 4 additional cards from Amex is even under a made-up name. I hardly use it, but nontheless.

@ficus wrote:

Im suggesting that giving only an address the CRAs has no way to match your mom with her SSN.

What do you mean, by 'made-up name'?

Message 8 of 10
ficus
Regular Contributor

Well, I actually tried to pull a credit report for my mom. I did it in the most traditional way, name, address, SSN, everything. The same way I pull credit reports on myself. And nothing. It makes sense, though, as she's never had a loan, credit card, or anything related to credit. The CRA's simply report that no credit history exists under that name. And if this matters, she's lived in the same place for over 24 years. That's why I'm wondering if making her an authorized user with CC companies by providing them with her SSN, it would eventually result in her credit history showing up on the radar.

Yes, I have a card with a made-up name, for a person that doesn't exist, and this card is linked to my CC account. I even get card solicitations for that name. I didn't do it for scam purposes; I just wanted to see if I could.

Message 9 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ficus wrote:

Well, I actually tried to pull a credit report for my mom. I did it in the most traditional way, name, address, SSN, everything. The same way I pull credit reports on myself. And nothing. It makes sense, though, as she's never had a loan, credit card, or anything related to credit. The CRA's simply report that no credit history exists under that name. And if this matters, she's lived in the same place for over 24 years. That's why I'm wondering if making her an authorized user with CC companies by providing them with her SSN, it would eventually result in her credit history showing up on the radar.

Yes, I have a card with a made-up name, for a person that doesn't exist, and this card is linked to my CC account. I even get card solicitations for that name. I didn't do it for scam purposes; I just wanted to see if I could.

Once you add your Mom's SSN to Amex and if she's had it for 6 months, you will e able to pull her reports.  

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.