Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Analysis = hard inquiry?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Credit Analysis = hard inquiry?

I was in one of the local DCU branches yesterday. I noticed they offered a free credit report analysis. I pretty much know what my report looks like but I figured I'd grab a current copy with my score and see what their analysis is about. It's just them looking it over and pointing out obvious things. Probably more to it if someone has a more extensive/messy report. Well, today I received a credit inquiry alert here today. Looks like that ended up being a hard pull. It shouldn't be. I'll be giving DCU a call tomorrow then disputing it if I have too. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Analysis = hard inquiry?

A pull of your report was necessary in order to analyze it, so the pull either had a permissible purpose or was specifically authorized by the consumer.

Normal monitoring services are treated the same as a consumer pull of their own report, and are thus treated as sott.

What was the fine print associated with the inquiry?  Ststed otherwise, was it considered the same as if it were a pull by the consumer, or did it simply grant them the authority to acess your report?

Message 2 of 11
masscredit
Valued Contributor

This is the info that I'm showing - 

We have detected one or more new inquiries resulting from an application for new credit in your name. This type of inquiry occurs when you apply for credit and a lender pulls your credit report. A lender may pull your credit report when processing your application in order to examine your credit history and evaluate your ability to manage debt.

The inquiry wasn't to obtain new credit. I've seen soft pulls listed for credit monitoring services and if I've pulled my report. Have never seen a service like this report a hard inquiry. I'm thinking she classified it wrong when she did it.  I went into the bank so my girlfriend could set up accounts there. She also received a copy of her report. Don't know if that was hard or soft. Just starting to get her set up to monitor her credit. 

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 3 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

Looks like that ended up being a hard pull. It shouldn't be.

According to what?  Do you have the terms for the free credit analysis?

Message 4 of 11
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I'm looking at the brochure where I first found out about it.  It says -

Free Credit Report Analysis

As a DCU Member, you can visit any DCU brance for a FREE Credit Report Analysis at any time. Plus, you can sign up to receive your FICO Credit Score on a monthly basis - also a FREE service for DCU members. 

*Available to members 18 and older. FICO Credit Score electronially delivered monthly in online banking.

I wasn't applying for credit.

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 5 of 11
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I spoke with someone at DCU this morning. He was very helpful and looked into the situation. He said it should have been a SP so he emailed me a dispute form to fill out. I guess the person I saw when I was in the branch was fairly new so she didn't enter it correctly.

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 6 of 11
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Quick update - I just receved a letter in the mail that said theun-warranted pull will be removed from my report.  Quick and easy! 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 7 of 11
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I'm wondering, can I use the Notice of Resoluation letter from DCU to request a copy of my credit report so I can make sure the inquire has been removed?

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 8 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@masscredit wrote:

I'm wondering, can I use the Notice of Resoluation letter from DCU to request a copy of my credit report so I can make sure the inquire has been removed?

Dont think that will fly the law is pretty clear you need to be denied credit in order to receive a free report, if you are due your annual free report you can request that.

Message 9 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, you should have received a copy.

If a dispute results in change in your credit report, the CRA is required to send a copy of an updated report along with their Notice of Results of Reinvestigation, showing that the changes were made.

See FCRA 611(a)(6)(B)(ii).

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.