Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Bureau Audit Trail

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Bureau Audit Trail

I tried Google but came up empty.  I turn to you myFico forums. Smiley Wink

How can I determine or get access to an audit trail of changes made to my credit report, in particular Experian and Equifax? TransUnion seems to behave itself.  

Here's what is going on:

In the past 16 months I have been deceased, rmultiple people, fled the country, filed numerous fraud alerts, and in active military service.  Well, none of those things actually happened but in some form or another they have manifested in my report.

I was unaware that someone's FICO score could actually drop to zero.  The secret: have  someone, literally anyone, tell Equifax you are dead.  My file was summarily closed and while I know my score did not actually drop to zero, the system just didn't really know what to do with a zombie trying to buy a car and printed out zeros I had to fax in copies of my drivers license to prove I was alive.  Apparently when you die they send someone over to cut up your license.  Sounds crazy, but no one could explain to me why sending in my license made me instantly alive again. 

Experian has multiple files for me, all containing different information.  I was also unaware that you don't even technically have to be the person whose identity was stolen to file a fraud alert on all three bureaus.  I tried this with my sister (and her permission).  There were no verifying questions to put a security alert on, but it was quite a painful experience getting it taken off, all the meanwhile I was unable to get new credit and my scores droppped (even though no one could tell me why and a fraud alert specificaly is not supposed to do this).   The Credit Analyst I spoke to at TransUnion told me that my file had weird stuff in it.  Her words, not mine.  I informed her that I have a legal right to know what is in my file but she absolutely refused to tell me what it was and only there was a bunch of "junk info" that was showing on her screen.

My latest dilemma is now Equifax believes i was born in the year 11.  Not 1911 or 2011.. 11AD.  I'm not even sure why this is possible - there is no data standard that I am aware of and no one at any of the bureaus could tell me how it happened.   I have also now had my Alliant Secured Loan for -4 months.   Not only is this ridiculous, but the calculators for AAoA flip out over this.   My address list contains streets that do not exist and I file to have them removed, they go away and next month, right back on again.  At one point there were roughly 30 versions of the name of my street, some were very creative but wrong and I do know how to spell the street I live on - so I'm not even sure where this info is coming from.

I don't want to be that tinfoil hat guy, but does anyone else have this many problems with basic data integrity with the bureaus or am I just lucky?  This has made validating who I am to any of the bureaus over the internet downright impossible and it slows everything down when one of the bureaus asks me verifying questions and I respond with "what file are you looking at... my birthday could be any of the following".  Not exactly an answer that says "hey, I'm the real me".   The websites all say that the personal info section does not affect your score at all, but I really would like to challenge that assumption because I have seen my FICO scores change quite dramatically where literally the only change over the previous 24 hours has been a change to my personal information section.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Bureau Audit Trail

FCRA 609(a)(1) entitles a consumer to obtain "all information in a consumer's file at the time of the request."

There is no provision requiring CRAs to maintain and provide information that has been changed or deleted.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

So hypothetically what prevents a collection agency from reporting a new and different account every month and retracting it the following month?  I would contest with the bureau, it would come back as already deleted but with the lag in verifying etc a new one could already be put in place and affecting my scores.  Or changing the date of delinquency as the first of every month.  I would dispute that, the bureau would update it to the right date but then set it to really whatever the credit grantor reports the following month.

I guess its the secrecy of the process and the formulae and the "tactics horror stories" that really make the whole credit scoring system a horrible idea where we're set up to fail.

Message 3 of 5
stellar
Established Contributor

You can change your social security number.

To me, it sounds like someone is screwing w you on purpose.  Maybe an ex?  Anyone have a reason to want to get revenge on you?

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hah, I wish. It would make this credit repair thing so much easier if you could just start all over. 

Literally every time I go into any of the credit monitoring stuff because of an alert I pray that it'll be something other than a new address has been added, a name has been added / removed, your birthday has changed -- I don't even know why that's even possible but as of right now my birthyear in Equifax is 19XY and in TU it's 19YX.    And it would be the most time consuming method of revenge.. I wouldn't even know how to change it on purpose if I wanted to, but I gotta think it would require some letter with a copy of my license and I can't even get the bureaus to declare me not-dead in less than three or four weeks.I look pretty good considering...I look pretty good considering... 

There should be a webservice that would anonymize my 3B report so I could show you guys what it looks like but scrubbed of any PII. 

Thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.