Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Bureau Disputes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Bureau Disputes

First I have to say thank you for the wonderful site.  I have been on here for a while and it has greatly help me remove a lot of negative things from my credit to get my new camaro!!  However, I have a question about dispute a few items directly through the credit bureaus.  I tried looking for the answers but Im still a little unclear.  Do I have to use the online disputes with the credit bureaus or can I just type a letter and send it.  I prefer to just typing a letter and sending it but even transunion says I should use a form and mail it.  Well the form doesnt say what I wish to dispute.   Can someone help me out with this?

Thank you

Jason

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Bureau Disputes

@Anonymous wrote:

First I have to say thank you for the wonderful site.  I have been on here for a while and it has greatly help me remove a lot of negative things from my credit to get my new camaro!!  However, I have a question about dispute a few items directly through the credit bureaus.  I tried looking for the answers but Im still a little unclear.  Do I have to use the online disputes with the credit bureaus or can I just type a letter and send it.  I prefer to just typing a letter and sending it but even transunion says I should use a form and mail it.  Well the form doesnt say what I wish to dispute.   Can someone help me out with this?

Thank you

Jason

You should use a dispute form of some type.  It doesn't have to be the ones from the credit agency.  There are some generic ones on the Internet that you can use which allow you to type in more information than the ones that they provide.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive seen many templets, would it be wise to just send a letter explaining my dispute?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess that might work.  Just make sure you include all the necessary information.  Send the disputes to all 3 via certified mail

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No, you do not have to use either online disputes or a form in order to dispute.

The dispute process cannot require a consumer to have a computer.

The CRAs are required to conduct a reinvestigation of a consumer dispute providing only that the consumer meets the requirments set forth in FCRA 611.

That defines the substance of the dispute, such as identification of the subject matter under dispute, and adequate information to enable a reinvestigation of the dispute, not its form.

A consumer may also wish to have a registered mail receipt as proof of filing date.

As an aside, I would advise considering using a direct dispute whenever possible, thus avoiding any administrative involvement of the CRAs.

Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do I have to use the online disputes with the credit bureaus

Not at all.  CreditBoards users would actually recommend mailing in a dispute IIRC.  I think it has something to do with a difference in the terms for online disputes versus disputes received by mail but don't rely on my recollection and definitely do your own due diligence.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.