Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Bureaus and AU Question

tag
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Credit Bureaus and AU Question

I recently added my dad as an AU on my Citi and Chase SW cards and I've noticed that when I checked my CR recently through My Privacy Matters that on two of the bureaus, I'm being reported as an AU rather than indiviudal user. Is this a normal thing and will creditors still know that it's me that has been managing those accounts?

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Bureaus and AU Question

It is not normal

AU status is recored by the ECOA code, and individual or joint accounts for which the consumer is responsible have their own ECOA codes.

It appears the CRA improperly put the identifying ECO code in the wrong file.

Get it corrected as some creditors witll discount the valaue of any score based in part on the accunt of another.

Message 2 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

Is this a normal thing and will creditors still know that it's me that has been managing those accounts?

No and no.  For the latter question all they have to go on is whatever is indicated in your reports.  Definitely get that corrected.

Message 3 of 7
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Alright. How do I get that corrected? By filing a dispute online or calling them?
Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 4 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@chalupaman wrote:
Alright. How do I get that corrected? By filing a dispute online or calling them?

The wrong information may have come from the CC issuers. That's where I would start.

Message 5 of 7
chalupaman
Super Contributor

With EX, I just submitted a dispute online for the two accounts affected but I'll take your suggestion too.

Message 6 of 7
LianaCCB

You should definitely be listed as (B) borrower, where your father should be listed as AU.

The bureaus will probably tell you that they just report what the credit lenders report to them. Start by calling the lenders and confirming that they have the information correct in their system. See if they will fax/mail you a letter confirming it (I always recommend getting something in writing - avoiding a "he said/she said") and then you can send that to the credit bureaus for them to update it promptly. Otherwise you're stuck waiting until they update again, which may or may not update correctly.

Liana
4+ years of experience in the business credit industry
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.