Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Balance Question

tag
jacksont1981
Frequent Contributor

Credit Card Balance Question

Hi everyone,

Just want to say thank you for all the wealth of information I have gained from this community. On my Capital One credit card, I paid the balance to 0 before my due date. When my new statement date cut, it says I have a balance of $2.03 due July 24th for finance charges. What finance charges if I paid the balance in full before my new statement date cut? I am so confused and also when do they report to the CRA's because my scorewatch has not alerted yet of a balance change which I was waiting to see what it will do to my score since it stated I have high utilization. I was excited to pay it down to 0 hoping for a score bump but no alert as of yet. See below what my statement says from Capital One

06/27/2014 INTEREST CHARGESmiley TongueURCHASES Interest Charge

$2.03

Current Balance:$2.03

Started 6/2014 EX 594 EQ 617 TU 580 FICO's Goal is 740's and up
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card Balance Question

Did you have any charges on the account that you'd carried over from a previous month? Those would continue accruing interest after your statement cut.

I know it's frustrating when you're so close to zero, but you'll get there. Many companies (not sure about CapOne) will also do a mid-cycle report for you upon request, like after you pay off that little bit that's due.

Message 2 of 6
jacksont1981
Frequent Contributor

Hmm they would still carry over even if I paid this month the full balance due? I have not always paid in full every month so are those still accruing? If so, for how long will this happen? 

Message 3 of 6
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Yes it would if you pay statement balance and it was not paid in full any new purchases are also charged interest. If you notice there is statement balance and current balance. By paying current balance it might have been avoided.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 6
jacksont1981
Frequent Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

Yes it would if you pay statement balance and it was not paid in full any new purchases are also charged interest. If you notice there is statement balance and current balance. By paying current balance it might have been avoided.

Thank you coldnmn, you learn something new every day. So going forward, I plan on PIF every month. What should I be clicking on to do so?

•  
    Select Amount
     Minimum Payment $2.03
     Last Statement Balance $2.03 (As of 06/27/2014)
     Current Balance $2.03

Message 5 of 6
user5387
Valued Contributor

@jacksont1981 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Just want to say thank you for all the wealth of information I have gained from this community. On my Capital One credit card, I paid the balance to 0 before my due date. When my new statement date cut, it says I have a balance of $2.03 due July 24th for finance charges. What finance charges if I paid the balance in full before my new statement date cut? I am so confused and also when do they report to the CRA's because my scorewatch has not alerted yet of a balance change which I was waiting to see what it will do to my score since it stated I have high utilization. I was excited to pay it down to 0 hoping for a score bump but no alert as of yet. See below what my statement says from Capital One

06/27/2014 INTEREST CHARGESmiley TongueURCHASES Interest Charge

$2.03

Current Balance:$2.03

If you've been carrying a balance, you may have residual interest, and would need to pay the balance in full for two successive months.

Another way of handling it might be to call the CC company and ask them if they'll give you a "payoff amount" that will clear things out if you pay that specific day.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.