Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Company Problems

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Company Problems

Several years ago I had a credit card with company "X". In 2006 I closed the card and paid an agreed amount to satisfy my debt to the company. I received a letter stating that I no long had any more obligations to the company. The account was satisfied in Sept. 2006. Then in Oct, Nov, and Dec the company reported me being late which made a 90day late appear. After almost a year of writing letters, providing documentation, and filling complaints with the BBB it was removed from showing late in Oct, Nov, and Dec. Now it is showing me having 2 90day lates. One in July 06 and one in Sep 06. It is also showing as Bad Credit/Charge off. I have provided the proof of documentation to both the credit card company and to all credit reporting agency's. Still nothing is changing  to show the correct status of my previous account with this company. I need help in figuring out where to go from here. At one time I spoke with a lawyer who wanted a $2000 retainer to just write a letter to the companies. I thought this was a bit much. Can anyone provide some advice?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Card Company Problems

File a complaint with the BBB.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you saying to file another complaint with the BBB?
Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

File complaints with the BBB, your states AG and the FTC.  One of these will wake someone up.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed a complaint with BBB once. Following the outcome in which the company said they would take the 90 day late off for after the card being closed. They did do that....they just moved it to months where I wasn't late and then reported it as bad credit. They changed the status from bad to worse following the BBB investigation. Now what I was trying to ask is are you saying I need to lodge another complaint through the BBB? I have started trying to work on filling a compaint with the FTC.
Message 5 of 7
corkyduckfan
New Contributor

The following is of course just my opinion/experience:  With what you have said, I would absolutely send a letter to the company with the Intent to Sue and give them 15 days to respond.  If this doesn't work, then take them to small claims court.  I have done this three times and won a three times.  Their lawyer will call you within 30 days and make an offer.  Hope this helps.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Several years ago I had a credit card with company "X". In 2006 I closed the card and paid an agreed amount to satisfy my debt to the company. I received a letter stating that I no long had any more obligations to the company. The account was satisfied in Sept. 2006. Then in Oct, Nov, and Dec the company reported me being late which made a 90day late appear. After almost a year of writing letters, providing documentation, and filling complaints with the BBB it was removed from showing late in Oct, Nov, and Dec. Now it is showing me having 2 90day lates. One in July 06 and one in Sep 06. It is also showing as Bad Credit/Charge off. I have provided the proof of documentation to both the credit card company and to all credit reporting agency's. Still nothing is changing  to show the correct status of my previous account with this company. I need help in figuring out where to go from here. At one time I spoke with a lawyer who wanted a $2000 retainer to just write a letter to the companies. I thought this was a bit much. Can anyone provide some advice?

Unless the terms of your settlement provided that they would not report as a charge off, or as "settled for less than owed" then they can report derog info, both late pays and CO's.

You were late at the time of settlement, thus lates can be reported.  But the lates should be for the time periods preceding the settlement, not as lates after.

They may also report as settled for less than owed, or Charged Off, since they did charge off a portion of the debt.  This is why it is very important in how the settlement agreement is constructred and the language used.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.