Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Deletion

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Deletion

Good thread! I have a question. I have an Applied Card Bank card(formerly Cross Country Bank). It's 7 years old. My oldest in fact. It has 4 'baddies'(all 30 lates)The youngest baddies is 8 months old and the oldest is 2 years old.

I am going to close it soon. Like in the next 2 weeks.

When would be a good time to try to get it off my FICO records...if it's even possible.
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would see where your scores are at after 13 months of clean payments and make a calculated decision then.

Chances are it is helping more than hurting-

@Anonymous wrote:
Good thread! I have a question. I have an Applied Card Bank card(formerly Cross Country Bank). It's 7 years old. My oldest in fact. It has 4 'baddies'(all 30 lates)The youngest baddies is 8 months old and the oldest is 2 years old.

When would be a good time to try to get it off my FICO records...if it's even possible.

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sylviatob wrote:

The length of the history on the card is probably doing more good than the baddies are damaging you. If the baddies (30 days) are 2 years old, they aren't hurting you much at all and are considered minor anyway. IMHO. leave the account since age is one of the most important factors.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Timothy. As I was 30 days late in paying, I'm at the default interest rate of 29.99%. Plus a monthly participation fee of $6.00. PLUS an AF of $49.00. Sure I can let it go dormant with a 0 balance on it. But I'd still be paying $121.00 a year just to have it and not use it. That's hard to justify, just to have the util, imo. Your thoughts?
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sylviatob wrote:
Thanks Timothy. As I was 30 days late in paying, I'm at the default interest rate of 29.99%. Plus a monthly participation fee of $6.00. PLUS an AF of $49.00. Sure I can let it go dormant with a 0 balance on it. But I'd still be paying $121.00 a year just to have it and not use it. That's hard to justify, just to have the util, imo. Your thoughts?

By all means close it just don't delete it.

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Brammy. I was composing my response to Timothy when you commented. See my reply post back to Timothy. I'd like your opinion as well
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

By all means close it just don't delete it.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks you all. Another issue put to rest. Smiley Happy

What a great forum this is.
Message 18 of 20
FantumGrey
Regular Contributor

Good thread indeed!

I have an old Merrick Bank card (closed 2004-ish) that I went 120 days late on three years ago this month, and I've been contemplating whether or not to try and get it deleted. It's my worst baddie, and when I tried to GW, Merrick said my account was no longer in their system.

Any suggestions?

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMHO

Scores focus on the last 2 years-
If this is the only baddie you have- dispute it as never late or not mine.

If you have other lates- you will need to figure out based on Avg age and longest account open if it is hurting or helping you before thinking about disputing it.

@FantumGrey wrote:
Good thread indeed!

I have an old Merrick Bank card (closed 2004-ish) that I went 120 days late on three years ago this month, and I've been contemplating whether or not to try and get it deleted. It's my worst baddie, and when I tried to GW, Merrick said my account was no longer in their system.

Any suggestions?

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.