Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Disputes

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Credit Card Disputes

It's been quite a while since I've been on here (maybe I should change my siggy in a bit) and I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for it, but here we go:

Back in September my fiance and I took a trip to MCO. After a 6 hour delay in EWR and not arriving into MCO until 11p, when we finally got to the rental car desk both their main and back-up computer systems went down. We had to go downstairs to the pick-up area and they filled everything out by forms.

When we got to picking out the car, the rep was talking to us about the accident coverage. He didn't provide pricing differences and needless to say myself and my fiance were frazzled, it was late, and we thought we told the rep that whatever was the non-cost or cheapest option would be best. He apparently put us down for the accident coverage which we didn't need, and we didn't find out about the charge until we got the e-mailed receipt from dropping off.

We filed a dispute thru Discover as soon as we got back and after a month going by with no supporting documentation on Enterprise's part, Discover resolved the dispute in our favor at the end of November for the amount of the accident coverage.

Now Enterprise just sent us a letter dated 1/31 claiming that we owe them the $80.97, it is 30 days late and they've sent a notification before (which I can confirm they haven't), and that it must be paid within 10 business days lest it affect his credit.

I guess my question is if Discover already resolved the issue, does a company even have the right to come after you regarding the dispute amount almost 3 months later? I've never heard or seen of such a thing. I already messaged Discover to see what they think, but wondering if anyone else has had this experience. If I can't get a resolution or help from Discover, I may contact Enterprise directly asking for proof of the receipt that they apparently could not even provide Discover in the first place. If they can provide it, then I guess I'm SOL since the signature from my fiance is there, though I'll likely complain to Enterprise regarding their shifty business tactics with the whole "will never use you guys again". If they can't provide proof of purchase, then I would think I would be in the right and can argue it away.

Really appreciate the help!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card Disputes

I think your best bet would be to see if Enterprise can provide any supporting documentation.

Just because the dispute went in your favor, does NOT relieve you of any liability to pay something you may owe - that is a very common misconception....
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

It's been quite a while since I've been on here (maybe I should change my siggy in a bit) and I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for it, but here we go:

Back in September my fiance and I took a trip to MCO. After a 6 hour delay in EWR and not arriving into MCO until 11p, when we finally got to the rental car desk both their main and back-up computer systems went down. We had to go downstairs to the pick-up area and they filled everything out by forms.

When we got to picking out the car, the rep was talking to us about the accident coverage. He didn't provide pricing differences and needless to say myself and my fiance were frazzled, it was late, and we thought we told the rep that whatever was the non-cost or cheapest option would be best. He apparently put us down for the accident coverage which we didn't need, and we didn't find out about the charge until we got the e-mailed receipt from dropping off.

We filed a dispute thru Discover as soon as we got back and after a month going by with no supporting documentation on Enterprise's part, Discover resolved the dispute in our favor at the end of November for the amount of the accident coverage.

Now Enterprise just sent us a letter dated 1/31 claiming that we owe them the $80.97, it is 30 days late and they've sent a notification before (which I can confirm they haven't), and that it must be paid within 10 business days lest it affect his credit.

I guess my question is if Discover already resolved the issue, does a company even have the right to come after you regarding the dispute amount almost 3 months later? I've never heard or seen of such a thing. I already messaged Discover to see what they think, but wondering if anyone else has had this experience. If I can't get a resolution or help from Discover, I may contact Enterprise directly asking for proof of the receipt that they apparently could not even provide Discover in the first place. If they can provide it, then I guess I'm SOL since the signature from my fiance is there, though I'll likely complain to Enterprise regarding their shifty business tactics with the whole "will never use you guys again". If they can't provide proof of purchase, then I would think I would be in the right and can argue it away.

Really appreciate the help!

Did you sign the form with the coverage? If so you might have to pay it. It takes a waiver to be signed for that insurance. I’m sorry this happened to you. That’s why it’s important to read everything you sign. The dealer was pretty shady in what they did tho. So I feel for you.

Message 3 of 4
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

I don’t recall signing a particular form specifically for the coverage, just one regarding the rental on the old-school carbon copies. I do recall him writing some notes regarding the rental and checking some boxes off, but what they were I’m not exactly sure as it was technically all under my fiance’s Name (authorized user on my Disco).

I appreciate the condolences, but understand that if there’s written and signed proof with a contract, I’m essentially SOL no matter what and we’re on the hook. Also not worth my fiance’s Credit getting screwed up when we’re been working so hard to clean it up as best as we could from a charged off CC from when he was 18 and stolen identity by his father who shared the same name on a cable account. Just hoping Enterprise gets everything straight and understands our plight.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.