Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card as income...need help.

tag
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Credit Card as income...need help.

I'm trying to assist my cousin.  Basically she is having a hard time financially right now due to losing her job.  She applied for public assistance (food assistance I think) and you know they ask what your income is, expenses etc. They DENIED her because her expenses were more than her income DUH!! 

She called me very upset and said she had a phone interview and they asked how she was covering her expenses since she had no income and she told them she was having to put everything on her credit card, she told me that the lady on the phone got very snarky with her and said that credit cards are income.  

I am trying to help her, I know that credit cards are not considered income but I can't find any sort of link to say.  Can anyone help? Links, laws statutes etc.   Its in the state of Florida.

Please no demeaning comments, she is doing her best as a single mother and has had several interviews.

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card as income...need help.

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

I'm trying to assist my cousin.  Basically she is having a hard time financially right now due to losing her job.  She applied for public assistance (food assistance I think) and you know they ask what your income is, expenses etc. They DENIED her because her expenses were more than her income DUH!! 

She called me very upset and said she had a phone interview and they asked how she was covering her expenses since she had no income and she told them she was having to put everything on her credit card, she told me that the lady on the phone got very snarky with her and said that credit cards are income.  

I am trying to help her, I know that credit cards are not considered income but I can't find any sort of link to say.  Can anyone help? Links, laws statutes etc.   Its in the state of Florida.

Please no demeaning comments, she is doing her best as a single mother and has had several interviews.

Here's what I would had responded, I would have been your sister...

"Sir/Madam, I don't have job and income. My brother, relative, and friends are helping me with my cost of the living at the moment till I find suitable job opportunity. Essentially I have to pay back all those monies they lend me."

There is no need to bring CC into the discussion when dealing with them. Just my two cents....

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 2 of 7
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@s_haliz wrote:

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

Here's what I would had responded, I would have been your sister...

"Sir/Madam, I don't have job and income. My brother, relative, and friends are helping me with my cost of the living at the moment till I find suitable job opportunity. Essentially I have to pay back all those monies they lend me."

There is no need to bring CC into the discussion when dealing with them. Just my two cents....

Exacty this..you make it sound like you have nothing. If they ask how are you paying for stuff..just say "I can't that's the point".  On a side note they like to turn people down at first request. Good luck..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 3 of 7
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

Income = Revenue

Credit = Liability

Revenue does not = Liability

So credit cards cannot be considered income

Here's a link:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-line-is-not-income-1267.php

ETA: Here's another link (from New Hampshire):

http://www.dhhs.state.nh.us/dfa/foodstamps/eligibility.htm

Message 4 of 7
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

The Rep is misinforned, ask to speak to a manager

Message 5 of 7
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Thank you all so much! I've been working with her all afternoon to try and get this resolved.  Unfortunately talking to a manager or supervisor is not an option, they say they have to send a note out and they call you when they want. 

The link was perfect!  I've been combing over the food stamp florida page and it does not say anything about credit cards.  It does say "assets can't be over $2000" but I don't believe credit cards to be an assest as it isn't something you necessarily own, am I wrong in thinking this?

Thank you also for not being rude in any fashion, I could not imagine a more friendly forum! Smiley Happy

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 6 of 7
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

Thank you all so much! I've been working with her all afternoon to try and get this resolved.  Unfortunately talking to a manager or supervisor is not an option, they say they have to send a note out and they call you when they want. 

The link was perfect!  I've been combing over the food stamp florida page and it does not say anything about credit cards.  It does say "assets can't be over $2000" but I don't believe credit cards to be an assest as it isn't something you necessarily own, am I wrong in thinking this?

Thank you also for not being rude in any fashion, I could not imagine a more friendly forum! Smiley Happy

Assets include cash, land, vehicles, but not credit. That is a liability.

Access to credit may be considered a "resource" but I am not 100% sure about that.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.