cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card went $1 over limit for 1 day - will that affect my credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card went $1 over limit for 1 day - will that affect my credit report?

I cancelled a recurring subscription 2 months ago but the payment just came out and my credit card went $1 over the limit and I paid it off immediately. Will that report to my credit report? What type of score impact will I have?
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Card went $1 over limit for 1 day - will that affect my credit report?

This really depends on the creditor. I recommend you call and ask them if they'll report it or just report your regular statement balance at the end of your billing cycle. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card went $1 over limit for 1 day - will that affect my credit report?

What is the date of your last credit report?  If this happened mid-cycle you are likely OK (though see AA below).

One thing to consider is that, if a single fairly small charge could cause you to go over your credit limit, then that card is basically maxxed out which is very bad for your card and your score -- even if the mistaken charge hadn't gone through.  The ultra high utilization is hurting your score, the interest is hurting your wallet, and the issuer might be contemplating taking Adverse Action against you because you represent high risk.  Google Adverse Action and also Balance Chasing to learn more.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response - I pay my cards off each month before the statement date. This month I made a large purchase so that I could get the rewards and was already intending to pay it off immediately but as fate would have it, this company incorrectly charged me a monthly fee which should have not come out
Message 4 of 17
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

What lender?  More than likely you'll be fine.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
This month I made a large purchase so that I could get the rewards...

Can you clarify what you mean by this statement?  On the surface it sounds like you're spending in order to achieve rewards, which definitely isn't a sound financial decision.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a major purchase to make - appx $4500. I could have paid it in cash but opted to pay with a Rewards Card and then pay it off completely as soon as the charges posted. No balance carried - no interest.
Message 8 of 17
JVille
Valued Contributor

I get it! I recently bought living room furniture which I had cash for but put it on my Chase Sapphire Reserve to get points, I paid the card off the following week prior the stmt closing. Yes people do this, in my case it allows Business Class flights to Europe for free. I call that a wise investment. I also pay my cards off in full each month.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I had a major purchase to make - appx $4500. I could have paid it in cash but opted to pay with a Rewards Card and then pay it off completely as soon as the charges posted. No balance carried - no interest.
I would have let the charge post to statement then pay it on due day, keep the $4500 in high yield savings for up to 55 days (depending on when the charge is made) and take full advantage of the grace period (still not carrying balance and paying interest), the only thing is your score might take a temporary hit but will rebound next cycle when you PIF on due day. Unless you know you're about to apply for new credit, micro managing your UTI is completely pointless and wasteful, just setup autopay to PIF on due day for all your cards and spend your time and money on more important stuff.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.