cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card went $1 over limit for 1 day - will that affect my credit report?

tag
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Card went $1 over limit for 1 day - will that affect my credit report?

... Unless you know you're about to apply for new credit, micro managing your UTI is completely pointless and wasteful, just setup autopay to PIF on due day for all your cards and spend your time and money on more important stuff.

Your scores can be pulled for lots of other things, and you won't always know what is coming.  Some of the occasions you most need a good score is when you're not planning for it.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card went $1 over limit for 1 day - will that affect my credit report?

@Glen_M wrote:
... Unless you know you're about to apply for new credit, micro managing your UTI is completely pointless and wasteful, just setup autopay to PIF on due day for all your cards and spend your time and money on more important stuff.

Your scores can be pulled for lots of other things, and you won't always know what is coming.  Some of the occasions you most need a good score is when you're not planning for it.

I think there's a big difference between managing and "micro" managing.  Managing utilization is a good thing IMO.  As Glen stated above, you can be pulled at any time by anyone.  It's always the best look to have your utilization as low as possible.  To me, this is simply managing utilization.  Micro managing to me involves always maximizing FICO scores through things like AZEO and constantly watching the calendar to ensure you are paying at the right dates and such.  With a bunch of accounts, this can be tedious and time consuming for many.  So I agree that micro managing utilization really isn't necessary unless a major loan app is approaching, but managing utilization overall is a healthy thing to do.

Message 12 of 17
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I would be shocked if NFCU reported $1 over the limit off cycle.  

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 13 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

This isn't an issue even if NFCU does report it off cycle.

Don't sweat it, and don't borrow trouble.  You paid, your credit life's fine.  Certainly don't call the lender... don't poke the bear, don't poke the bear, don't poke the bear.  They are not our friends.

        
Message 14 of 17
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Creditors keep record of every daily balance, as it is necessary to calculate the interest (if any), which is normally then based on the average daily balance if the account carries a balance.

Creditors thus have and retain much more detailed information on daily balances than are reported to the CRAs.

They also have their own internal algorithms for evaluating their internal determinations, such as potential credit limit decreases based on near or over the limit scenarios.

The CRAs only get the balance on day of reporting, so it wont affect your score if not reported.

However, over the limit implications can be viewed daily by creditor internal records, and that would be my primary concern.

I would presume that most creditor algorithms for review of potential credit limit decreases would require a period of over the limit of much more than one day, and it is unlikely to trigger a review, but that is entirely and internal creditor determination.

Message 15 of 17
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I cancelled a recurring subscription 2 months ago but the payment just came out and my credit card went $1 over the limit and I paid it off immediately. Will that report to my credit report? What type of score impact will I have?

An isolated over limit event is nothing to worry about especially if it occurred mid cycle and the balance was paid down before statement cut. With some credit cards the highest balance may get reported in the High Balance field for that CC. However, that won't impact score and should not be viewed negatively in a manual review unless it coincides with a late payment being reported.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 16 of 17
Kree
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I cancelled a recurring subscription 2 months ago but the payment just came out and my credit card went $1 over the limit and I paid it off immediately. Will that report to my credit report? What type of score impact will I have?

I once maxed out my Discover, set it up for Autopay and cut the card.  But there was an error and the autopay came out a day later than a late fee.

So where I thought I had been paying Minimum+40 bucks each month, turned into being 5 cents short each month.

A few years later I'm responsible enough to use credit again, and go checking into my discover, assuming it had been paid down a fair chunk. Low and behold, over 100% UTI for over a year straight.  Talk with them. They waive the late fees. I pay it down a bit more. Next month auto CLI to triple the limit.

Long story short, some companies really don't care about going over the limit.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.