cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Counseling/DMP or Negotiate on my own??

tag
venus909

Credit Counseling/DMP or Negotiate on my own??

I currently am being swallowed by my debt.  About $47,055 to be exact.  I am struggling to make my current minimum monthly payments (I am a single mom of three, and started having issues with my debt after my divorce 2 years ago. )

My minimums currently are $1522.  Interest rates on my cards are between 23% and 29%.

I want to pay my debt and I want to stay away from bankruptcy but I'm starting to feel like there is no out.

Yesterday I called one of my credit cards and spoke with a credit analyst...I was hoping to negotiat a workout agreement where they would lower or eliminate my interest rate for a period of time so I can pay them back.  Instead they said I needed to talk with a non-profit credit counseling service that they recommended and they connected me on the spot.  I figured it wouldn't hurt to hear them out.

So they put together a plan to pay off $41,055 of the debt becuase I have 6k that I'm going to use to pay off the rest today on my own so I don't have to close those accounts.  The plan that they put together lowers the interest rates of my cards from 0-8%.  Has me with a debt free target date of march of 2016 with a monthly payment of $793 (including their $40 monthly fee).  Now to me that sounds like a great deal  I save about 700 a month that I can still send to my accounts to help pay them off early (they said there is no penalty for paying my debt early) or finally start a savings account.

My question is... I have heard some mixed stories about Debt management plans... My FICO score is not good... currently around 550 (down from 680 about a year ago :-() so I don't think it can get any more worse, but Is this a good idea?  Do I have any other options????

A side question, I have 6k that I was going to use to pay some cards aside from the DMP... but I also have an account in collections for 4K.  would it be a better idea to try to arrange a PFD and use the money for that or should I pay off the cards and pay the collections account later?

Sorry for such a long message... I'm just really confused right now and need as much help as possible....

Thank you in advance!

-Jen

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Counseling/DMP or Negotiate on my own??

I have no experience in this, but have a vested interest in this thread because someone close to me is going through a similar situation, so here is my opinion based on what I have heard:

That plan sounds great.  I can understand why the CCC might not want to negotiate with you directly, because any yahoo can call in and say they are in debt trouble, and ask all their creditors to lower rates and work with them, and then still default on debt.  The CCC may want a third-party's opinion on whether the plan will in fact assist you in paying off your debt.  They want to make sure you have a plan, not just willy nilly going to your creditors asking for a free pass.  Makes sense, right?

BUT

I have heard all kinds of horror stories about DMPs ruining people's credit.  You must stay on top of them and make sure they are making your monthly payments ON SCHEDULE.  I have heard people say that the DMP tells them everything is fine, and not to worry about late payment notices, when in fact, they are making payments late, if at all, and bringing down your credit.  On the plus side, though, if it works out, even several late payments are going to be much better than a bankruptcy.  You can't goodwill letter a BK! lol

Hopefully, if your CCC recommended a specific firm, they are trustworthy, and if their plan works as advertised, it sounds like it will dramatically improve your situation.  Have you researched the specific firm?  Better Business Bureau?  Remember, Google knows all.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
flapjack
Established Member

I got myself into a similar fix 3 years ago. I had 46K in unsecured debt and was near the maximum on my cards before I realized it was time to hit the brakes. I had more or less been avoiding reality, and when I finally did, the prospects looked grim and daunting. I made myself sit down and finally do a real budget - one that would be a concrete guide on where and when I spend money and not just a bunch of wild guesses like so many "budgets" before it. It took hours and many attempts but I slowly whittled away things down to the core essentials. That's hard to do and takes time, especially if you've been used to a long period of free spending, but it can be done. My first few attempts were left me in the red and I thought bankruptcy was a forgone conclusion but I did finally come up with a plan that left me in the black and could work.

Non-fixed expenses were the hard part. I had to limit myself to $195 a week for food, gas and other essentials. This then became a fixed expense of $780 dollars a month, to which I added the minimums on all my cards, house payment, insurance and other utilities. For the utilities which are also not fixed, I estimated 90% of my highest bill for each one. Collectively, they were always below what I budgeted because of seasonal variations, close enough to act like a fixed expense. The total after eliminating a great deal of non-essentials left me enough to begin making larger payments on one card until I got it paid off, the so-called snowball method.

I used a spreadsheet to track my budget, with a new worksheet for each month that was essentially a duplicate of the previous month with a complete list of bills including my weekly budget amount, the required dates to pay each one, my budget estimate for each one, an actual amount column for once I got the bill, and a column to mark as paid. To handle the $195 weekly budget, I opened another checking account separate from my main account and set up a weekly transfer of that amount from the main account. On the main account, every month I deducted a $780 phantom withdrawal to account for the upcoming period at the same time I did the rest of my bills. On each worksheet once all bills were paid, I was then able to see exactly how much I had extra to pay down my debt.

Once I had the plan, it was not really that hard to follow. Yes, I had to change my habits and spend less but at least at that point I knew for sure I was headed in the right direction. Each month, yielded more and more money to put toward debt or handle unforeseen events. I put every extra dime I got toward debt as well - tax returns, insurance refunds, bonuses - whatever I could find. I also sold off some of the items I had acquired during my debt gathering phase that I never used and would help get me closer to my goal of being debt free. It's hard to look down the road to that point when you get started and it helps instead to focus on how much extra you will have each month. Even if it's only to pay off more debt, there's security in watching the "extra" grow.

With all that said, if you get to the point in your budget where there really is no money left, a DMP may be the only way to go - either that or a BK. But neither may be needed if you can make yourself live a budget on your own. As far as your collection, were it me, I would consider the damage done. If I had 6K to start, I would probably look to pay off/down at least one other card or debt. Not that I suggest you ignore the collection. I would create a budget first, then call them and negotiate a payment structure that you can live with. Once you have a budget in hand, it will be much easier to do that. If they are unwilling to work with you, you can decide at that point if it's better to pay the debt off to avoid future collections and the possibility of a lawsuit. Note that with having kids, keeping the 6K for emergencies is probably what most people would recommend and I would too, but only if you know for sure you can actually save it and won't be tempted to use it when living the budget becomes to much.

Just as an FYI, I did finally paid off all my debt and it did not take nearly as long as I thought. It's surprising how much money I used to throw away. Now that I am done, I still honor my budget and watch my savings grow. Yes, I do spend more now than then but before I do, I make sure I pay all the new "bills" first - 401K, Roth IRA, Savings and another Investment account. When I do actually splurge, I’ve already saved the money required to cover whatever I buy first. Don't be disheartened at first. Once you actually have a budget and start to follow it, the money worries disappear and you can begin to enjoy life again. You will not dread bill time anymore because you will already know they are all covered.

EX: 785 EQ: 759 TU: 760 (9/14 via MyFico)
Message 3 of 5
venus909

Thank you flapjack for taking the time to respond...I have a lot to think about, but it helps to hear that paying off a lot of debt can be done.

Congrats on making it through the process...it sure is hard to face in the beginning....

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In my opinion, it depends upon how much time and effort you are willing to invest to become aware of the process.

If a consumer is ignorant of the credit reporting process, and cant take the time to learn the ropes, then a credit repair organization might be worth the investment.  However, for those who take the time to learn the process, they will have the additional benefit of pursuing matters in a way that serves their own best interests, and not just the convenience of the credit repair organization.

As an aside, there is one thing, for example, that federal regulations prevent a credit repair organization from doing, giving you some insight as to how the credit repair organizations are viewed.  When enacting the new direct dispute process, credit repair organizations were explicity barred from filing a direct dispute with your creditors.  16 CFR 660.4(b)(2).  The consumer has that tool.  Credit repair organizations dont.  If your credit repair involves disputing any information, they wont have the direct dispute process at their disposal.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.