Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Counseling and FICO Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Counseling and FICO Score

Does anyone out there know how contacting CCCS (non-profit credit counseling service) and deciding to go on their payment plan affects your FICO score?  I am in over my head, never had a late payment on any of my accounts, and don't want to start but even the minimum payments are killing me.  I was thinking of using this service but not sure how it looks if I go to get a mortgage in the next year or so.  My current credit score is 680 because of high balances.  Any advice/experience with this situation would be helpful!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Counseling and FICO Score

I've heard mix results. Try searching in the search box above for CCCS. Seems like there were some recent threads on that.
Message 2 of 10
JayBeast
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Does anyone out there know how contacting CCCS (nonprofit credit counseling service) and deciding to go on their payment plan affects your FICO score?  I am in over my head, never had a late payment on any of my accounts, and don't want to start but even the minimum payments are killing me.  I was thinking of using this service but not sure how it looks if I go to get a mortgage in the next year or so.  My current credit score is 680 because of high balances.  Any advice/experience with this situation would be helpful!

I was in your same situation when I started my DMP through my area CCCS, albeit my score was much lower than yours.  Since I started my score has gone nowhere but up.  I started of with $25k in debt 98% util and a EX Fico of around 630.  I'm now at 8.5k, 35%, and 715.

With that said there are a few things you need to keep in mind.  When starting the program, make sure that you continue to make payments to your credit cards until you see payments being made by your DMP.  This shouldn't take more than a month.  My plan requires an ACH withdrawl from my bank account by CCCS and they in turn split the funds to pay my cards.  For the first few months, make sure you verify payments are being made on your statements.

You might need to call your card companies and have them change the due dates for your payments to coincide with your plan.  However, some cards might have an understanding that the payment will post on the same day each month and this might cause a payment to skip a billing cycle, as long as there is a payment in the following statement cycle (my Citi card is like this).  

Finally, keep in mind that if your plan will result in one of your cards being paid off significantly before others that your score will drop.  Closed accounts will figure into your overall util as long as they carry a balance.  However they will no longer count once they reach $0.  Your counselor should be able to give you a schedule of expected pay off dates.  This happened to me and I lost about 10% of my available credit and I lost about 15 points.  However, the goal of being out of debt is well worth it.

The biggest thing to point out is make sure you're going on a debt management program, not debt settlement.  Often people get them confused and there is tons of negative things to say about debt settlement.  If your CCCS is a nonprofit, you should be OK.  I'll PM you the link to my counseling service.

Message 3 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

Well said JayBeast.  I finished my DMP last Novemeber and the end result is my scores have never been better.  There is life after DMP.  I as able to get a prime Visa card and an autoloan at the best rates my CU offered.

I would also add not to put all your CCs into the DMP.  try to leave your oldest and most usefull acccount out of it.  As JayBeast said, you nee to be proactive and double check each statement and compair to what the DMP things you owe.  The last thing you want is a bunch of late payments at thge end of the DMP becuase the DMP was $1 off the real balance.  be Proactive!

Message Edited by marty56 on 11-21-2008 03:08 PM
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

It seems that most dmp are for 60 months.  I'm sure they all allow additional payments if you're inclined to make them.  I've almost got one paid in full.  I'll take that point hit....I plan on being pif in 48 months.  It does feel good, but it IS a sacrifice.  Review EVERY statement to make certain there are no payment issues. 

Before you make this decision, sit down and write up your expenses, so you have it all on paper.  They're going to go over everything with a fine tooth comb....down to haircuts, pet expenses, medication costs, gas costs, whether or not you get peds or manicures....

Good Luck, it's exciting to finally get things under control.

Message 5 of 10
JayBeast
New Contributor

fishbjc wrote:

It seems that most dmp are for 60 months.  I'm sure they all allow additional payments if you're inclined to make them.  I've almost got one paid in full.  I'll take that point hit....I plan on being pif in 48 months.  It does feel good, but it IS a sacrifice.  Review EVERY statement to make certain there are no payment issues. 

Agreed!  Mine allows me to make additional payments with the creditor.  Whenever I have the extra cash I send it through my CU's bill pay.  My CCs post the payment just like when they were open.  I'll be PIF within the next year at my current rate, 18 months ahead of schedule! I just send a copy of my CC statements every 3-4 months to my counselor and that keeps my balances with them accurate.

Before you make this decision, sit down and write up your expenses, so you have it all on paper.  They're going to go over everything with a fine tooth comb....down to haircuts, pet expenses, medication costs, gas costs, whether or not you get peds or manicures....

My credit counselor and I sat for a few hours and worked out a budget.  Talk about the most frightening and relieving conversation!  I had to come clean, be honest, and ready to make sacrifices.  It was really scary to see how I was spending my money, but in the end it was the best financial conversation I think I ever had, and I've got a business degree and am pursuing an MBA!  Making the lifestyle changes was difficult at first, but after a little over a year it feels natural.  I really don't miss the things I had to cut out.

Good Luck, it's exciting to finally get things under control.

Definitely good luck with your decision and situation.  Making the decision to start isn't easy, but in hindsight its the best thing I've done and would recommend it to anyone in a similar situation.  I can also agree that its a wonderful feeling to look at my statements and actually see my balance going down without having to stress to make it work.

Edited because I never learned how to spell (in addition to managing my credit the first time around Smiley Happy )

Message Edited by JayBeast on 11-19-2008 03:24 AM
Message 6 of 10
demi
Established Contributor

I bought a house with about 9 months left on my dmp.  It was new construction, not started yet, and by the time I move in I only had 2 1/2 payments left on the DMP...it made no difference, other than debt to ratio...which didn't matter because I had less than 10 months left.   Was very good timing for me.

The only issue I have had is that I was recently denied a AMEX because I was less than 2 years out of a CCCs (or it may have only been a year, can't remember and don't have the letter with me).  Was also other reasons, mainly my stupid Spiegel that shows 25 late over 90 day payments...still working on getting that one resolved.  That was not the DMP's fault, only shows on one credit report

But, as others have said, check your statements -- but I would recommend every month.  I did have a "floating" payment day on my Chase account, so one month it was missed.  Moved that date to later in the month.  But would not have caught in and possibly might have gotten dinged for it.

Good luck !  It worked great for me.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

@demi wrote:

The only issue I have had is that I was recently denied a AMEX because I was less than 2 years out of a CCCs (or it may have only been a year, can't remember and don't have the letter with me).

Funny you mention them.  Right after I finished DMP, I started to get pre-approvals from them.  I had a Blue card in DMP with them and they canceled my Green card when I first went into DMP.

I think they are trying get me to waste an INQ or some other evil intent.  I would never apply to any company that I had a product in DMP with.  That goes double for BofA and AE. 

Message Edited by marty56 on 11-21-2008 03:09 PM
Message 8 of 10
demi
Established Contributor

In my case, I didn't have an Amex...I just want the Costco one.   Probably a good thing I didn't get it.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

Honestly I would stay away from AE these days unless I could always PIF and didnt have to depend on a static CL or charge approval.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.