cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit First seems to have extended debt on credit report to extend beyond 7 years?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit First seems to have extended debt on credit report to extend beyond 7 years?

Hello everyone. I have been lurking and reading for about 3 months and usign tips here to start repairing my destroyed credit.

I am having an issue with one item that went to charge-off and  collection.

In Jan 2010, I opened a credit line with Firestone (Credit First) for $2k. Ten days after I opened that account, I found myself in the hospital and my income stopped. I burned through my savings paying medical bills and simply forgot about the Firestone card. When I got out of the hospital, my savings were exhausted, I obviously had no job, and I had to move.

That Firestone credit line went to collections, was charged off, and now is a stigma on my credit report.

I am looking at my Experian credit report and it shows the tradeline as having paid in Jan 2010 and then no activity until 2013.

Jan 2013 and Feb 2013 both report as "OK" and then March shows 30 days late, April shows 60 days late, May is 90, June is 120, July is Failed to Pay, August is Failed to pay, and then the account stops reporting.

I never paid them in 2013. I never made a payment on this card at all.

Shouldn't the report reflect:
Feb 2010          30 days late
March 2010      60 days late

April 2010         90, days late

May 2010          120 days late
... then sometime after going into a chargeoff?

Can they choose to not chargeoff the debt for 3 years? I had zero communication with them since opening the card even to this day.

Thank you for any insight. I am looking at this thinking it should have charged off in 2010 which would mean pursuant to the seven year rule, it would fall off my credit file this year.

3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit First seems to have extended debt on credit report to extend beyond 7 years?

Credit report exclusion applies to each adverse item reported to your credit report.

Each type of adverse item has its own individual exclusion period and definition of when that exclusiion period begins.

All of the types of adverse information and their respectice credit report exclusion provisions are set forth in FCRA 605(a).

Individual monthly delinquencies each have their own credit report exclusion date of no later than 7 years from the date of occurence of the monthly delinquency.  Thus, a monthly delinquency that occured in 2013 would have an exclusion date of the equivalent month in year 2020.

If a creditor charged-off a delinquent debt, they are entitled to additionally report that they took that accounting measure.  If they did report the charge-off, they are also required under FCRA 623(a)(5) to additionally and separately report the date of the first delinquency in the chain of delinquencies that led to the charge-off.  That DOFD then is used by the CRA to determine when the reported charge-off must become excluded.  More specifically, the charge-off can no longer appear in your credit report after 7years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD.

Similarly, a debt collector may choose to report their collection, and if they do, must similarly obtain the DOFD on the OC account, and report it to the CRA.  The collection must then be excluded no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD.

REported monthly delinquencies are not used to determine when a collection of charge-off must become excluded.

Creditors are not required to report each and every delinquency, and a first reported delinquency is not necessarily the DOFD.

Thus, the DOFD is required to be separately and explicitly reported, and that reporting alone is then used by the CRA to determine credit report exclusion of the charge-off.

Did the creditor actually report a charge-off?  If so, what is the DOFD they then reported?

Did the debt collector actually report their collection?  If so, what is the DOFD that they separately reported?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit First seems to have extended debt on credit report to extend beyond 7 years?

Hello RobertEG

I couldn't log into my previous account to reply, so I had to make a new one.

Thank you for the wonderful explanatio and insight. The DOFD was certainly a piece of the puzzle I was missing.

To answer your questions:

1. Did the creditor actually report a charge-off? 
YES

2. If so, what is the DOFD they then reported?
The first late payment which they report leads to the charge off and therefore I would assume is the DOFD; that date is March 2013.

3. Did the debt collector actually report their collection? 

It doesn't appear so since I have no collections entry on an any of my credit reports.

4.  If so, what is the DOFD that they separately reported?

N/A

I'm simply surprised to see this entry on my credit report having no activity reported for about 3 years and then suddenly, bam, the credit line appears and goes 30,60,90,120, Collection, Charge Off.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

For clairty, here is a breakdown of the reporting (same on all 3 bureaus):

2010	Jan	OK
2010	Feb	ND (No Data)
2010	Mar	ND
2010	Apr	ND
2010	May	ND
2010	Jun	ND
2010	Jul	ND
2010	Aug	ND
2010	Sep	ND
2010	Oct	ND
2010	Nov	ND
2010	Dec	ND
2011	Jan	ND
2011	Feb	ND
2011	Mar	ND
2011	Apr	ND
2011	May	ND
2011	Jun	ND
2011	Jul	ND
2011	Aug	ND
2011	Sep	ND
2011	Oct	ND
2011	Nov	ND
2011	Dec	ND
2012	Jan	ND
2012	Feb	ND
2012	Mar	ND
2012	Apr	ND
2012	May	ND
2012	Jun	ND
2012	Jul	ND
2012	Aug	ND
2012	Sep	ND
2012	Oct	ND
2012	Nov	ND
2012	Dec	ND
2013	Jan	OK
2013	Feb	OK
2013	Mar	30
2013	Apr	60
2013	May	90
2013	Jun	120
2013	Jul	C
2013	Aug	CO
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.