Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Fraud

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Fraud

Hi,

I am in the house market, and a week ago my Loan Agent ran my credit record.... an to my surprise one credit issue (collection) appeared in my record.   My Loan Agent informed me what is was about....  it was (is) for ATT wireless account with an amount due close to 3k - 

I have not had an account with ATT since 2004 (back then it was Cingular), my agent gave me the name and phone number of the collections agency.   I called the agency and spoke with a representative, she informed me That this collection item is for an ATT account opened in 2005 (the person who opened this account used my name and ssn) -  I informed the collections rep... That I am the true XXX XXXXXX (my name) and my SSN is XXX -

The lady kept saying That this account was opened in 2005 by (my name and ssn) and she gave me a mailing/residence address listed on this account ---  The rep gave me an address That I do not recognize (so I told her....  "well this account belongs to another XXX because I do not know, nor I know anyone That lives in That address)  then she mentioned my SSN.

So I said, clearly I am a victim of stolen identity (credit fraud) - The representative suggested to file a price report, what I immediately did, I sent a letter to the Equifax, TransUnion and Experian.

My Loan Agent suggested That I should contact ATT and try to fix this issue - I did, but only to find being transferred to one person to another, without getting an answer.

This incident has affected my home loan (unless I pay the amount due), but this account does not belong to me!

What else can I do ?

Thanks for your help -

MG.-

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Fraud

If you sent the police report to the CRA, the account should be removed from your CR within 4 days.

I would also send a copy of the police report to the CA.

There is a ID theft affidavit on the FTC's website you can fill out and send as well, but I wouldn't send it to the CRA unless the police report don't work.

Have you pulled your free annual reports to see if it has been taken care? How long ago did you send it?

You can request the CRA to send an updated copy of your report to any creditors who received your report in the last 6 months(i think that is the time limit). Or your loan officer can get a new report herself.

If this was fraud and it is removed from your report, I don't understand your LO telling you that you have to pay it.

Might ask over on the mortgage forum about that part. Doesn't make sense tho.

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you sent the police report to the CRA, the account should be removed from your CR within 4 days.

I would also send a copy of the police report to the CA.

There is a ID theft affidavit on the FTC's website you can fill out and send as well, but I wouldn't send it to the CRA unless the police report don't work.

Have you pulled your free annual reports to see if it has been taken care? How long ago did you send it?

You can request the CRA to send an updated copy of your report to any creditors who received your report in the last 6 months(i think that is the time limit). Or your loan officer can get a new report herself.

If this was fraud and it is removed from your report, I don't understand your LO telling you that you have to pay it.

Might ask over on the mortgage forum about that part. Doesn't make sense tho.

Message 2 of 3
GFer
Valued Contributor

Honestyly, they'll tell you over at the forum that 'most' lenders don't require these to be paid anyhow. Judgements and sometimes, tax liens, but typically not collections.

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.