Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Freeze

tag
User11

Credit Freeze

Hi All,

I'd like to better understand the Credit Freeze concept. I realize that when it is in place it does not allow anyone (but existing creditors) to read from my credit file. What about the write access? Does it stop new/existing creditors from placing a hard inquiry? Does it affect the ability of any existing creditors to report changes to my acounts such as credit limit increases? If a new creditor opens an account for me without pulling the credit report, would a freeze prevent them from reporting that new account?

Thanks for your replies!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
User11

Re: Credit Freeze

Surprised to see no replies! Did I manage to come across a topic that is a gray area?

Message 2 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@User11 wrote:

Hi All,

I'd like to better understand the Credit Freeze concept. I realize that when it is in place it does not allow anyone (but existing creditors) to read from my credit file. What about the write access? I dont know what this is

Does it stop new/existing creditors from placing a hard inquiry? A new creditor will not be able to get a copy of your CR, your current creditors and their assigns have no problem pulling inqs.

Does it affect the ability of any existing creditors to report changes to my acounts such as credit limit increases? Nope

If a new creditor opens an account for me without pulling the credit report, would a freeze prevent them from reporting that new account? Nope

Thanks for your replies!

Message 3 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@User11 wrote:

Surprised to see no replies! Did I manage to come across a topic that is a gray area?

Your questions are not in a grey area its just this forum doesnt get visited like the main credit forums do and it can take awhile to get a response.

Message 4 of 10
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

What's weird is Amex is my existing creditor.  I apped for a second card with them which required a HP on approval. I was prompted to call in because I have all CRs frozen (I have had them frozen since 2011).  I had to lift the EX freeze for them to HP my report. They did it over the phone and completed the app.  I was always told that existing creditors can still HP your report, but there are some exceptions I guess.

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Tonya-E wrote:

What's weird is Amex is my existing creditor.  I apped for a second card with them which required a HP on approval. I was prompted to call in because I have all CRs frozen (I have had them frozen since 2011).  I had to lift the EX freeze for them to HP my report. They did it over the phone and completed the app.  I was always told that existing creditors can still HP your report, but there are some exceptions I guess.

I know they can SP but as for HPs I am not convinced that existing lenders can HP through a credit freeze. This could be the reason for AX to ask you for a lift.  That is an interesting question but I do not know the answer either.

Message 6 of 10
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

I don't think they can. When I first got my Barclays card I asked for a CLI, not realizing it would be a hard pull. They gave me a message to call in and it was the same spill. I had to unfreeze my TU report.  I just declined the CLI request because I didn't want the HP.

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

" don't think they can. When I first got my Barclays card I asked for a CLI, not realizing it would be a hard pull. They gave me a message to call in and it was the same spill. I had to unfreeze my TU report.  I just declined the CLI request because I didn't want the HP."

And IMO that is the main /best purpose of a freeze.. you don't want anyone messing with your Scores/Reports
past what accounts/HP's you alredy have. I wonder if Gardeners do this.

I read somewhere on here that opt-out of pre-screen is also like this when you are repairing your credit.

You dont want them seeing the low score soft pulls but only the new high score soft pulls after you 
repaired your credit (I did use this method but it's taking a WHILE to get mailers.. so far only Citi/Cap1
after 3 months after opting in..)

Message 8 of 10
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

" don't think they can. When I first got my Barclays card I asked for a CLI, not realizing it would be a hard pull. They gave me a message to call in and it was the same spill. I had to unfreeze my TU report.  I just declined the CLI request because I didn't want the HP."

And IMO that is the main /best purpose of a freeze.. you don't want anyone messing with your Scores/Reports
past what accounts/HP's you alredy have. I wonder if Gardeners do this.

I read somewhere on here that opt-out of pre-screen is also like this when you are repairing your credit.

You dont want them seeing the low score soft pulls but only the new high score soft pulls after you 
repaired your credit (I did use this method but it's taking a WHILE to get mailers.. so far only Citi/Cap1
after 3 months after opting in..)

Exactly! Not only that, it makes you think before you do something. That's why I freeze mine. I get tempted to app and knowing I have to thaw a report usually makes me reconsider unless it's something I really need.  I am opted out as well. I did it to stop the mailers. 

Message 9 of 10
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

None of my current creditors could HP when I had my stuff frozen.  I had to do a temporary unfreeze for them to be able to do the HP.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.