Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Freezes

tag
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Credit Freezes

When I had credit freezes added to my profiles with all three bureaus I read about any exceptions. And one of them was credit monitoring. I have recently found out that that was incorrect. So in order to continue to do my 3 in 1 credit monitoring I had to cancel credit freezes from the two other credit bureaus. I do not agree with this. As a result I am also approaching our lawmakers as well as the new federal consumer protection agency http://www.consumerfinance.gov/press-center/ to request that the credit bureaus make changes  and have to allow credit freezes to remain in place when the consumer ants to monitor their credit.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Credit Freezes

That is odd.  I have a freeze on one of my reports, which, by the way, I did not put there, and I have always been able to pull my own reports.

Message 2 of 7
CreditBob
Established Contributor

When you pull the reports do you go directly to each bureau? In other words if you have a credit freeze on Experian but do credit monitoring through Equifax will it allow you to do a pull? With my experience I can still do a credit pull with a credit freeze but i have to do a pull right from the credit bureau?

Here is my situation. I do a 3 in 1 credit monitoring through Equifax. If I have a credit freeze on either TU or EXP the monitoring will not work. However I can go directly to Transunion or Experian & still pull a credit report from them with a freeze in place.

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I have the 3 in 1 with EQ and the freeze is on my EX.  I have always been allowed to pull all of them.

I didn't even know about the freeze until a prospective creditor tried to pull my CR and they couldn't.  I tried to have it removed and EX refused saying it will stay on there until 2015.  No ifs ands or buts.  Didn't even give me the option to pay to have it removed.

Message 4 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

I tried to have it removed and EX refused saying it will stay on there until 2015.  No ifs ands or buts.  Didn't even give me the option to pay to have it removed.

Did they say why they placed it or why they won't remove it?

Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

They said I placed it.  I did not.

I tried to tell them that and I wanted it removed. The CSR is like well it will stay till 2015.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditBob wrote:

When you pull the reports do you go directly to each bureau? In other words if you have a credit freeze on Experian but do credit monitoring through Equifax will it allow you to do a pull? With my experience I can still do a credit pull with a credit freeze but i have to do a pull right from the credit bureau?

Here is my situation. I do a 3 in 1 credit monitoring through Equifax. If I have a credit freeze on either TU or EXP the monitoring will not work. However I can go directly to Transunion or Experian & still pull a credit report from them with a freeze in place.

I have monitoring from eachbureau and also a freeze in place with each bureau, but I have no problems having them pull my credit file each time.

I think one factor is that I had monitoring before I placed the freezes.  Therefore each bureau looks at the credit pull as from an "preexisting" creditor or something like that.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.