cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Increase, New Post

tag
Delta22

Credit Increase, New Post

Hello All, I'm very new to this site, and looking for a little input.

I currently have a Capital One card (1,800 limit) and a Citi card (1,000 limit) and just got a Discover (1,500 limit)

Looking to increase some CLI.  

I have fair credit, just would like a little input on who allows Credit increases more frequent?  I haven't ever asked for one, but have been given them, but nothing in the last 6 months.  All payments have been made on time.  

2) Does it matter if you request it over the phone or by the computer?

3) Will balances have an effect on if you get an increase?  

Payments have been made well ahead of time, and 2-3 times more then what the mininum due is.  

Thanks Everyone!  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
lanakane
New Contributor

Re: Credit Increase, New Post

Speaking from experience you can request with Cap One online, and 6 months is about the interval in which they would reconsider you for another CLI.  No hard pull. 

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 652 EX / 675 EQ / 643 TU
Goal Score: 700

Cap One QuicksilverOne $3000 | FirstTech FCU Visa $2500 | Discover IT $1500 | Amazon.com $700 | JCrew $600 | Ann Taylor $500 | VS $350 | Nordstrom Visa (AU) $15,000 | American Express® Gold

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Delta22

Thanks for the quick reply, I just received a 2,000 credit increase, so that helps.

I've been with Citi for a while, currently sitting at 1,000, but would like to see an increase with them as well.  Do they do hard pulls?

Thanks..

Message 3 of 5
lanakane
New Contributor

Woot woot!  Increases are so fun!  I'm assuming you mean an increase to $2000, not an additional $2000... that doesn't sound like Cap One Smiley Wink

Not sure whether Citi will do a hard pull but if your utilization is low it can't hurt to call them and ask "if I request a credit line increase will it result in a hard inquiry on my credit report or just a soft inquiry"?

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 652 EX / 675 EQ / 643 TU
Goal Score: 700

Cap One QuicksilverOne $3000 | FirstTech FCU Visa $2500 | Discover IT $1500 | Amazon.com $700 | JCrew $600 | Ann Taylor $500 | VS $350 | Nordstrom Visa (AU) $15,000 | American Express® Gold

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

It's really all about your credit and the creditor's criteria.  If you credit doesn't allow for a CLI then the other factors don't matter.  It also doesn't matter if you call or do it online -- your credit is still the same either way.  Your payments relative to the minimum doesn't matter unless any of them were less than the minimum.  Balances (specifically, utilization) do play a role but whether one has a balance or not isn't going to determine whether one gets a CLI or not.  It's possible to get a CLI with or without a balance.  It's also possible to get a denial with or without a balance.

Keep the usual factors in mind as creditors will look at your credit (as well as income and history with them) when considering CLI requests.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.