cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma: Closing secured credit card = deleted?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Karma: Closing secured credit card = deleted?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Say what you want, but multiple data points indicate that the CK score is consistently close if not equal to your FICO 04 score.  Useless?  I don't think so.

I haven't even begun to look at my FICO 04 score because I'm not planning on purchasing a home for another 2+ years.  So given my current goals (rebuilding), CK is useless.

Furthermore, I don't think it's a good idea to use CK as a go-to indicator of what your FICO 04 score will look like.  There are multiple rules on CK that will clearly ruin your score in the long run if you follow them religiously.

I.e. Closing new accounts out so they don't affect your AAoOA. CK doesn't even count my 1.5 year old 60 day late payment because the account has been closed since then. According to CK, I have made 100% of my payments on time.   How on earth can that be an indication of what your FICO 04 will look like?  

I don't say their logic or advice is always sound, I am saying that, surprisingly, their scores tend to coincide with one of the few significant FICO scores (among the 49 FICO scores) we all have.

Suppose someone gives you a parrot that recites upcoming the lotto numbers, consistently.  You test it one week, without playing, and it's right... do you play the numbers for the week after or refuse because it makes no sense?  I would take the numbers.

And, BTW, along with great information, there is PLENTY of wrong advice on this boards as well.

Message 11 of 24
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Say what you want, but multiple data points indicate that the CK score is consistently close if not equal to your FICO 04 score.  Useless?  I don't think so.

I haven't even begun to look at my FICO 04 score because I'm not planning on purchasing a home for another 2+ years.  So given my current goals (rebuilding), CK is useless.

Furthermore, I don't think it's a good idea to use CK as a go-to indicator of what your FICO 04 score will look like.  There are multiple rules on CK that will clearly ruin your score in the long run if you follow them religiously.

I.e. Closing new accounts out so they don't affect your AAoOA. CK doesn't even count my 1.5 year old 60 day late payment because the account has been closed since then. According to CK, I have made 100% of my payments on time.   How on earth can that be an indication of what your FICO 04 will look like?  

I don't say their logic or advice is always sound, I am saying that, surprisingly, their scores tend to coincide with one of the few significant FICO scores (among the 49 FICO scores) we all have.

Suppose someone gives you a parrot that recites upcoming the lotto numbers, consistently.  You test it one week, without playing, and it's right... do you play the numbers for the week after or refuse because it makes no sense?  I would take the numbers.

And, BTW, along with great information, there is PLENTY of wrong advice on this boards as well.

You just said it.. ADVICE.  It is up to the person to read through all of it and make there own educated decision based on peoples comments or ADVICE

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I see your point.  So beyond using CK for an "educational" ballpark guess at your FICO 04 score, it probably isn't much more helpful.  Based on what I learned today, CK is fundementally risky to use as a day-to-day monitoring service if you're rebuilding or hoping to finance a large purchase.  To me, the fact that CK is so prone to "ignore" baddies on a CR is worrisome and invalidates it as a comparable model to something as strict as FICO 04. I understand what you're saying now: the scores CK spits out may correspond with FICO 04 - and it stops at that; the score.  But it seems like an extreme YMMV type of situation.  Especially with people like myself who are rebuilding and have all sorts of funkiness on their reports. 

For instance, I have a total of five baddies on my reports: four COs (six years old), one 60 day late (1.5 years old).  A FICO 04 lendor pull from about one year ago called these baddies out.  My FICO 08 pulls call these baddies out as well (primarily the 60 day late).  CK acts like those baddies never happened.  So even if CK was the parrot and somehow squaked out the same/similar score to FICO 04, I wouldn't be able to do much with that - becuase I'm willing to bet that any lendor that uses the FICO 04 will absolutely care about the baddies that CK is prone to ignoring (that's just my own speculation). 

As for your callout on bad advice - I hear ya.  I think it's everyone's responsibility to do their own research and validate other's advice on their own terms.  I personally take everything I read with a grain of salt until I find a secondary source to confirm. For instance, I still don't know if IIB accounts are calculated toward your score or not.  I've gotten mixed responses from multiple people on this board and it's clearly something that no one is sure of - so because of that, I haven't stopped trying to GW those accounts off my records.

Message 13 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

CreditCuriousity wrote: 

You just said it.. ADVICE.  It is up to the person to read through all of it and make there own educated decision based on peoples comments or ADVICE

Right, but it's often hard for the newest (those that need advice the most) to distinguish the good from the bad.   Quite often, the "most wrong" tend to sound the most confident 

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

CreditCuriousity wrote: 

Right, but it's often hard for the newest (those that need advice the most) to distinguish the good from the bad.   Quite often, the "most wrong" tend to sound the most confident 

That's true, but I think new members should make an effort to read the guidelines and rules (which state that you should make your own informed decisions based on research). I've unfortunately made numerous mistakes based on advice from members on this board - and I blame myself for not fact-checking the advice that I was so willing to take.  That's a tough issue to crack though. 

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I see your point.  So beyond using CK for an "educational" ballpark guess at your FICO 04 score, it probably isn't much more helpful.  Based on what I learned today, CK is fundementally risky to use as a day-to-day monitoring service if you're rebuilding or hoping to finance a large purchase.  To me, the fact that CK is so prone to "ignore" baddies on a CR is worrisome and invalidates it as a comparable model to something as strict as FICO 04. I understand what you're saying now: the scores CK spits out may correspond with FICO 04 - and it stops at that; the score.  But it seems like an extreme YMMV type of situation.  Especially with people like myself who are rebuilding and have all sorts of funkiness on their reports. 

For instance, I have a total of five baddies on my reports: four COs (six years old), one 60 day late (1.5 years old).  A FICO 04 lendor pull from about one year ago called these baddies out.  My FICO 08 pulls call these baddies out as well (primarily the 60 day late).  CK acts like those baddies never happened.  So even if CK was the parrot and somehow squaked out the same/similar score to FICO 04, I wouldn't be able to do much with that - becuase I'm willing to bet that any lendor that uses the FICO 04 will absolutely care about the baddies that CK is prone to ignoring (that's just my own speculation). 

Maybe the CK global scores are taken directly or indirectly form FICO 04, and their partial scores (the ones with letters) are unrelated, made by misinformed in-house staff... take into account that credit card staff are many times misinformed themselves....

And as perplexing as the handling of CK is toward baddies... that is a free service.  What is more difficult to explain is why the myFICO "monitoring" service, that is paid, ignores the removal of baddies when alerting about FICO score changes....

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

CreditCuriousity wrote: 

Ain't that the truth!   or maybe not...

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe the CK global scores are taken directly or indirectly form FICO 04, and their partial scores (the ones with letters) are unrelated, made by misinformed in-house staff... take into account that credit card staff are many times misinformed themselves....

And as perplexing as the handling of CK is toward baddies... that is a free service.  What is more difficult to explain is why the myFICO "monitoring" service, that is paid, ignores the removal of baddies when alerting about FICO score changes....

Yeah that has been one of the biggest pain points for me - I depend on my daily EX pull and other FAKO services to get updates on my baddie removals.  I'm on month two of the myFico 3CB monitoring.  One month to go before I can cancel.  

At first I was obsessed with my score simply going up, nothing more.  Now I'm more interested in cleaning up my report.  I care more about a baddie falling off than I do about getting alerted of a $6 balance getting paid off.  So the myFico's monitoring service isn't ideal under that context.

Message 18 of 24
Involver
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

100% useless.

For anybody reading this, please don't assume that your TU04 is anywhere near your CK score just because it might be for some people.

There is absolutely no correlation between the two.

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Involver wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

100% useless.

For anybody reading this, please don't assume that your TU04 is anywhere near your CK score just because it might be for some people.

There is absolutely no correlation between the two.

Well, LongTimeLurker, your predicting abilities are right on the money.  Any Lotto numbers?

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.