Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma Equifax score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Karma Equifax score

Capital One just informed me my Equifax credit score from last December is 651, yet my current Equifax score on Credit Karma is 762. My FICO 8 credit score is 700. Why would they pull / use a credit score from last year rather than one more current. My score has gradually gone up but hasn't been that low in 6 months.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Karma Equifax score

Which Capital One credit score are you referring to?  The score they provide from "Credit Wise" is a TU VS 3.0 score (not a FICO score) or are you referring to a FICO score from EQ that they provided you with following a CLI or something?

A lot of times creditors use their last SP they have on you when making a decision.  Depending on the creditor, this could be a month or two old... possibly longer.  If my score is going up or has gone up a good deal I make sure that a creditor has hit me with a recent SP before requesting a CLI if possible.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The one score [762] is the credit wise score. The other score I have is a FICO 8 score [700]. The 651 is the EQ score Capital One listed from last December.

How exactly do you request Capital One to use a more recent SP? I used the on-line form from their webpage to request the CLI. Should I call CS? The chat feature appears useless.  

My CL is already generous [$7500} which I use to cover the majority of my monthly bills [$2000] which in turn I pay off each month. I've never requested an increase before. My utilization is 18%. Kinda surprized.

Message 3 of 8
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

My first guess as to how these lenders end up using old SPs is that every pull cost them something. Target SPs my credit report every 3 months. I can get Synchrony to pull a fresh report by calling credit solutions. Cap One seems to do their own thing...I would imagine since they won't even entertain CLIs but once every 6 months that they don't SP that often.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 4 of 8
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The one score [762] is the credit wise score. The other score I have is a FICO 8 score [700]. The 651 is the EQ score Capital One listed from last December.

How exactly do you request Capital One to use a more recent SP? I used the on-line form from their webpage to request the CLI. Should I call CS? The chat feature appears useless.  

My CL is already generous [$7500} which I use to cover the majority of my monthly bills [$2000] which in turn I pay off each month. I've never requested an increase before. My utilization is 18%. Kinda surprized.

The EQ score of 651 is an earlier version of the FICO score they pulled for the CLI. Capital One uses earlier versions of FICO (either FICO 4 or 5) for CLI or applications.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So is FICO 4 or 5 typically lower than your FICO 8 score?

Message 6 of 8
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So is FICO 4 or 5 typically lower than your FICO 8 score?

It depends on your credit profile. With some folks FICO 8 is higher and with others its the opposite.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Follow up. Here's the reasons Capital provided why my EQ score [651] was reported. And what was on that report.

• Derogatory public record or collection filed
  • Length of time since derogatory public record or collection is too short
  • Length of time accounts have been established
  • Proportion of balances to credit limits is too high on bank revolving or other revolving accounts

> The open collection was removed one week after the EQ report [december 2016].

> There are no derogatory public records. Collection was removed January 2017.

> AAOA is 3.4 years. Capital One accounts were established in 2008 / 2012.

> I recall ultilization was around 22% when the report was pulled. It's currently 16.5% 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.