cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma - Showing 1 account in collections that my actual report doesn't show

tag
axnjxn
Established Member

Credit Karma - Showing 1 account in collections that my actual report doesn't show

I've been using a combination of Equifax (3-in-1 reports), Credit Karma, and Credit Sesame to monitor my credit building/rebuilding progress. I pull all 3 reports with Equifax every quarter and monitor my FAKO scores on CK and CS. However, I recently noticed that only on CK, TransUnion is showing as reporting 1 account in collections. CK seemed to have updated my information today (1/16/2014). However, I cannot be sure that they have actually updated all their information. The alleged collections account is one that I paid off about 10 months ago and was removed from all the other CA with no discrepancy.  It is also no longer showing on my official TransUnion credit report. On my 3-in-1 I am showing 0 collections accounts with all 3 CA.

I find this discrepancy to be most confusing since AFAIR, CK uses TransUnion reports to generate their FAKO score. Has anyone else noticed a discrepancy between the CK info and their official credit reports? Similar to the 'FAKO" score, should I not put much onus on the detailed information shown in CK? Shouldn't I trust the official CR I'm getting from the 3-in-1 report from Equifax more than CK? Thanks to anyone who can help me sort through this.

Starting Score(8/15/13): 607
Current Score(5/20/16): 750
Final Goal Score: 800

Firmly in the Garden starting 7/23/2015 until 7/23/2017
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Karma - Showing 1 account in collections that my actual report doesn't show

Trust your CR from the official CRA, not CK.  There is a lot of information that is / is not included on my CK that is on my actual CR so I don't really use it for factual information on past accounts, only on changes to existing ones.

Message 2 of 13
axnjxn
Established Member

Re: Credit Karma - Showing 1 account in collections that my actual report doesn't show

Thanks a lot! I was wondering how that would have crept back into my report. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@axnjxn wrote:

CK seemed to have updated my information today (1/16/2014). However, I cannot be sure that they have actually updated all their information. 

Is 1/16/14 indicated as the update date?  They only update on a weekly basis.

@Involver wrote:

Trust your CR from the official CRA, not CK.

+1

Message 4 of 13
axnjxn
Established Member

Yes, 1/16/14 was shown as the update date but it also showed next update as 1/23/14, so I'm assuming that I signed in to check on the day they happened to update it.

As it turns out, CK was actually not incorrect. When I dove into the depths of my CR, I noticed that there was one "Other" account listed under Trans-Union that didn't show in the overview nor did it show as a collection. This "Other" account IS the collections account I paid off last spring! It doesn't show as "Collections" on my report though! Very confusing. I'm glad I signed up for CK or I may have found out when going for a mortgage in a few months!

I promptly contacted the Creditor and had them resend the email to me proving that I paid the account and that they requested it be deleted from my CR for all 3 reporting agencies. Then, I filed a dispute with TU (who is mentioned specifically by name in the letter). I don't see why it won't be removed. I just have to wait on TU to get back to me on my dispute. I'll update when I get the response just in case someone else has this situation and happens upon this thread.

Message 5 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

CK only updates when you log in if it has been 1 week from the previous update.

Message 6 of 13
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@axnjxn wrote:

Yes, 1/16/14 was shown as the update date but it also showed next update as 1/23/14, so I'm assuming that I signed in to check on the day they happened to update it.

As it turns out, CK was actually not incorrect. When I dove into the depths of my CR, I noticed that there was one "Other" account listed under Trans-Union that didn't show in the overview nor did it show as a collection. This "Other" account IS the collections account I paid off last spring! It doesn't show as "Collections" on my report though! Very confusing. I'm glad I signed up for CK or I may have found out when going for a mortgage in a few months!

I promptly contacted the Creditor and had them resend the email to me proving that I paid the account and that they requested it be deleted from my CR for all 3 reporting agencies. Then, I filed a dispute with TU (who is mentioned specifically by name in the letter). I don't see why it won't be removed. I just have to wait on TU to get back to me on my dispute. I'll update when I get the response just in case someone else has this situation and happens upon this thread.

IME, CK has been accurate with TU reporting and is consistent on the occasions I have pulled TU from their site.

I had a similar situation happen with a GW deletion by CMI.   The TL was deleted from EX and TU, but still showed on EQ.  I contacted CMI and they verified that the request to delete went to the CRAs and suggested I dispute.   I did and EQ deleted.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 13
axnjxn
Established Member

Yeah, I'm waiting on the result of my dispute with TU. CK was actually quite accurate with the collections account (I'm really very lucky that they caught this because it was listed as an "Other" account and NOT a collections account on my CR so I never would have caught it).

However, I have noticed that the AAoA is way off on CK. My official CR from TU is showing an AAoA of 5 years 1 month and CK is showing 1 year 7 months (which is an enormous difference in score). The "grade" I'm showing for AAoA is F because CK has 1 year 7 months, but if it had the correct figures from my official TU CR, it would be a grade of 'C' which would really help my CK FAKO score. I filed a ticket with CK but they just said "It's probably because CK needs to perform an update and hasn't yet." But that doesn't make sense b/c I have new accounts which would bring my AAoA down. If they haven't updated, then my AAoA should be LARGER than on the official CR, not SHORTER by ~4 years. Anyone else notice a discrepancy with their AAoA in CK?

Message 8 of 13
BQQKWORM
Established Member

Axnjxn,

I just had a similar experience yesterday with Credit Karma.  I got an email saying that an account posted as delinquent on Jan. 19th and since I knew that I paid everything on time, I logged in to TransUnion today to check and everything is reporting as on time.  Why would I have gotten that message?  The CK email even says to check TU.  I'm lost!!!

Message 9 of 13
axnjxn
Established Member

Well, actually, I was wrong in my first post. CK pointed out something to me that I didn't notice on my actual TU CR. There is an account in collections on my CR, but it is listed as an "Other" account instead of listing directly under "Collections".  I'm lucky I signed up with CK and not just Credit Sesame (which pulls Experian IIRC).

If I were you, I would open a support ticket with CK and provide them a full explaination and see what they have to say. I'm fairly new to this game and am unsure how such a discrepancy could occur. Perhaps another member on myFico has experience with your issue. I have noticed that CK support staff answer quickly but not all answers are satisfactory (see my above comment about AAoA in CK)

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.