Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma accurate?

tag
tisch0791
New Contributor

Credit Karma accurate?

I wasn't sure where to post this, but does anyone know if the scores found through Credit Karma are truly accurate?  I see they supply a transrisk score and a Vantage score. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
demi
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Karma accurate?

My understanding is they are not accurate.  I use them more for a trending pattern.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@demi wrote:

My understanding is they are not accurate.  I use them more for a trending pattern.

+1.

The Vantage score is the only remotely "worthwhile" score there in the sense that it's used by a very, even extremely, limited number of lenders.  That is better than Transrisk which isn't used by a single lender at all and is strictly provided for educational purposes AFAIK.

The value in Credit Karma and similar sites (Credit Sesame et al.) is the ability to access most of the information in your underlying credit report.  Since if you have a good credit report, a good credit score will naturally follow, it's a worthwhile service to use for monitoring; however, you can and arguably should ignore the scores... any similarity to your actual FICO scores is pure luck.  In my case my score on CK has barely even moved as my actual FICO EQ Beacon 5.0 score (found here and one or two other places) has increased 80 points in the past 8 months.

        
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

No.

My first inquiry a few weeks ago:
CreditKarma - 603
Actual TU - 512

Actual EQ - 563

Most recent inquiry a week ago:
CreditKarma - 654
Actual EQ - 603

I use it for trending, but actual numbers are way off..

Message 4 of 12
ShiningDown
Frequent Contributor

I just paid for my fico transunion score 8/26th on fico.com and my fico score was only 2 points higher than my creditkarma score.   

Message 5 of 12
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

My CK score is like 60 pts lower than myfico score.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 12
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

There are so many scores now I have no idea who uses what for which  Smiley Sad

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

My CK score is the same as my walmart TU08, but I don't know if that just happens to be a coincidence or what. Smiley Very Happy 

Message 8 of 12
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

Your FICO scores are what most lenders look at, and you can get your TU and EQ fico score from myfico.com.  Most other sites give their own rendition of a score mostly referred to in this forum as FAKO.

Message 9 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@jsucool76 wrote:

My CK score is the same as my walmart TU08, but I don't know if that just happens to be a coincidence or what. Smiley Very Happy 

Coincidence.

We have to keep debunking this over and over Smiley Wink.  Transrisk is not developed by FICO, nor is it used by any lender in the known universe.  As such, it is of dubious value for an instant in time score, and debatable for tracking purposes either.  In my own case my FICO has gone up and CK's been going in the opposite direction over the last six months, which is pretty ridiculous in thinking about it what it could be tracking.  Heaven forbid someone actually establish some positive payment history.

        
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.