Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma is Nutty

tag
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Credit Karma is Nutty

Yes, I know I shouldn't give a **** about CK's Fako scores, but at least I thought they made some kind of sense. Ever since I signed up with CK, my most "serious" issue was my AAoA. Yesterday, I was at 701. Today, Amex started to report with a backdate of 1988! So I went from a 4-month AAoA with the oldest account being 8 months to an AAoA of 4 years, 5 months with the oldest account being 25 years, 1 month. Pretty awesome right? Except that my CK score sank 41 points to 660. Does this make any kind of sense? I know places like CK, Sesame and the like are only good for checking changes to your CR, but even though I know that, it still irks me...LOL!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Karma is Nutty

@indiolatino61 wrote:

Yes, I know I shouldn't give a **** about CK's Fako scores, but at least I thought they made some kind of sense. Ever since I signed up with CK, my most "serious" issue was my AAoA. Yesterday, I was at 701. Today, Amex started to report with a backdate of 1988! So I went from a 4-month AAoA with the oldest account being 8 months to an AAoA of 4 years, 5 months with the oldest account being 25 years, 1 month. Pretty awesome right? Except that my CK score sank 41 points to 660. Does this make any kind of sense? I know places like CK, Sesame and the like are only good for checking changes to your CR, b ut even though I know that, it still irks me...LOL!

You Think? Lol

Creditkarma well is creditkarma dont let it get you downSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

I think I'd be pulling my TU report pretty quick if I saw that on mine.
Message 3 of 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

Yes, I know I shouldn't give a **** about CK's Fako scores, but at least I thought they made some kind of sense. Ever since I signed up with CK, my most "serious" issue was my AAoA. Yesterday, I was at 701. Today, Amex started to report with a backdate of 1988! So I went from a 4-month AAoA with the oldest account being 8 months to an AAoA of 4 years, 5 months with the oldest account being 25 years, 1 month. Pretty awesome right? Except that my CK score sank 41 points to 660. Does this make any kind of sense? I know places like CK, Sesame and the like are only good for checking changes to your CR, but even though I know that, it still irks me...LOL!

i had the same thing happen to me recently but it was 2 baddies falling off, and my score went down, I have a lower CK score now with 1 baddie than i did with 3 reporting, I expect to go down again next month when my last baddie falls off. The only reason I can attribute this too is being rebucketed, but I didn't think FAKO's had buckets...

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 7
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

What is rebucketed?

I'm still a newbie here, for the most part, but since CK pulls TU, I would be curious to see what changed on my tu report asap. And check my score too. But that's just me. I know CK tends to be off on scores but its still detecting a change somewhere, so maybe those things falling off, or something else, actually did hurt your score but maybe not as drastically as they portray? Idk.
Message 5 of 7
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Hey jd,

As I understand it, your credit score is based on the comparison between yourself and others according to similar parameters, or in the vernacular, within this particular "bucket." For example, statistically everyone in a certain score range will have similar AAoA, Utilization and # of accounts in good standing. However, let's say you build your score to a level that is considered "excellent." Now you are in another "bucket" and you will be scored according to the people in this range, which most likely will have higher AAoA's, lower utilizations and more open accounts in good standing. Therefore, unfortunately, even though your credit is stronger, your actual numerical score will be lower. Yes, I hate this too...lol. I hope this is clear, but please chime in if anyone has corrections or clarifications. Thanks.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 6 of 7
beenjammin
Valued Member

Thanks for explaining this, I just had an ah..ha moment. I've been trying to wrap my head around ck's inconsistencies for months and this explains it. Thanks!

Where else does this re-bucketing occur?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.