Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma is confusing.

tag
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

Credit Karma is confusing.

I know it's nothing compared to Fico scores. But how the hell did I go from 665 (it had been 666 for a while) last week to 694 for my TransUnion score? My Vantage score went from 727 to 720 to 719 and now it just went up to 723?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Karma is confusing.

Is there nothing in the Credit Report Activity section that explains the change in the score?  If not, were there any changes to utilization or anything else that would have affected your score?

Message 2 of 10
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

Only gets updated whenever they decide to post which cards carry balances and if I get new accounts or if my credit lines increase. I thought it was interesting since it was a big boost.

Message 3 of 10
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

The scores really don't mean anything. The biggest benefit is monitoring changes in your TU file and thats about it. Their recommendations are sometimes hilarious. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 10
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

Yeah they always recommend me the NFL points card. Smiley LOL

My credit reports are all in good standing. 

Message 5 of 10
Involver
Valued Contributor

Yeah, take all of the CK scores with a large grain of salt.  I now use the site primarily as a service for roughly monitoring information on my TU CR.

Message 6 of 10
Luscher
Valued Contributor

the only thing i really use CK for is to alert me of inquiry's and new accounts posting to my report,
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 7 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Luscher wrote:
the only thing i really use CK for is to alert me of inquiry's and new accounts posting to my report,

I use it to track reporting dates and utilization; their credit monitoring service actually doesn't suck in my opinion.  

The scores I unilaterally ignore, but other than my once annual score pull just for giggles if I couldn't get a FICO score to track for free, I probably wouldn't do it honestly.  The only bureau I don't have coverage on is Equifax for some sort of free access to the report data (even if highly sanitized in the CK/CS case, I wouldn't use it if I had to do something serious but for seeing additions or removals it's fine) .

        
Message 8 of 10

Maybe your "Age of Credit History" has increased? from 2-4 years to 4-6 years or something like that?

Wells Fargo secured $300 | Capital One secured $351
Message 9 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

FAKOS are as FAKOS do.  Sometimes there is no rhyme nor reason to them.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.