cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma says one thing, Bank another..who to believe?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Karma says one thing, Bank another..who to believe?

Thanks much, will do!

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Welcome, great to have you aboard 😊

2) You've gotten some great advice, so far
I'll just add and hopefully clarify some points

Secured cards are great, however some are absolutely NOT pro less than a year BK
Ex: I like the Citi secured but I think they aren't cool unless it's been 24 months just an FYI to check around the forum and the fine print/requirements for obvious denials before you waste HPs

3) If you do NOT have an install account reporting (car, school, personal loan) then IMO

Step 1 is to open a SSL
Use the 'loan' proceeds (essentially the same 💰) to
Step 2 open the 2nd & 3rd secured CCs you're gonna want to build a solid, thick impressive profile.

The scoring model, ideally wants to see a credit mix (10%) that's includes multiple TLs with variety

Ideally, 3 revolvers (Kohl's and 2 CCs) + 1 installer ( the SSL fits the bill, again if you don't have another,you only mentioned Kohl's)

To be crystal, here a $500 SSL, then securing a $200 Discover + a $300 BoA = ALL you need

The scoring model awards points for on-time payments (35%) and ultra low utilization (30%) along with some TIME/length (15%) with the aforementioned credit mix (10%) and we're addressing 90% of the scoring model

Again, be hyper conservative, keep the reported balance on ONE card sub 10% with the other 2 reporting zero...run this play for 10 billing/reporting cycles allowing
A) The bulk up of on-time payment to build positively
B) HPs to age (after 12 months the sting is over)

Stir and serve with ice
= World of difference

C) BK is also aging out of importance/newness

* Some will think 10 cycles 😵
To which I say...
Go to school for 1 year to live a better life with the certificate you'll earn or be impatient and work in the back😇
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Such great helpful advice from the folks here!

My only contribution is to tweak the "10%" number you have been hearing.  The actual threshold is 8.99%  You need to keep it UNDER that.  So for example if your credit limit was $200, then you'd want to keep your card reporting a balance of $17 or less.  And because ultratiny balances (e.g. $1-3) can sometimes get rendered as $0, make sure your statement balance is at least $5.

You can simplify that by just paying your card down to $5 shortly before the statement each month.  Then, a few days after the statement, pay the amount you owe in full.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.