cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma score dropped significantly!

tag
CreditOCDinCali
Regular Contributor

Credit Karma score dropped significantly!

I am enrolled in Credit Karma, Experian and Credit Sesame. My Experian score dropped a few points, but u credit karma score dropped 34 points :-( I am highly disappointed this is the second time this has happened. The first time 2 student loan accounts closed and we're removed so that lowered my aoc d e 26 points now 2 medical bills I disputed are now showing as closed collections and my score is now in the 550's. I was so close to 600. Now this :-(

I've been paying all my bills on time every month and even multiple times per month. I even got a couple credit increases (Fingerhut) and 1 collection removed.. what can I do to get back up?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Karma score dropped significantly!

Credit Karma and Credit Sesame scores are practically worthless.    Get your FICO scores here.  You're paying $21.95 per month to Experian for one FICO when you could get all three here for $24.95 per month.

Message 2 of 14
Berk
Established Contributor

@CreditOCDinCali wrote:
I am enrolled in Credit Karma, Experian and Credit Sesame. My Experian score dropped a few points, but u credit karma score dropped 34 points :-( I am highly disappointed this is the second time this has happened. The first time 2 student loan accounts closed and we're removed so that lowered my aoc d e 26 points now 2 medical bills I disputed are now showing as closed collections and my score is now in the 550's. I was so close to 600. Now this :-(

I've been paying all my bills on time every month and even multiple times per month. I even got a couple credit increases (Fingerhut) and 1 collection removed.. what can I do to get back up?

Be glad Vantage Score 3.0 is for entertainment purposes only. FICO is still by far the industry standard and still relied on by the vast majority of lenders. Think of FICO as the Consumer Reports of the lending industry. If I want to know how good a TV is I will probably go with Consumer Reports before I go with the reviews on the Big Box Appliance Store's web site for how the TV really performs. If you come to me for a line of credit, I will use FICO before I use Vantage Score.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditOCDinCali wrote:

CK scores make less sense than FICO scores. My husband had a major adverse event back in November. His store dropped, then climbed and then it just took a major hit two weeks ago for no reason (literally nothing changed between his reports, I went through them with a fine toothed comb). Another hit last week (same thing, no change). It's absolutely nonsensical the way Vantage scores react to reports. 

Message 4 of 14
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Well said Berk.  I totally ignore CK scores - they are there to sell you other products (cc's and personal loans). Your FICO scores are less sensitive to changes.  Use the score that the lenders use to measure your progress.  CK is good for checking to see if a cc has reported yet or if there has been a change in one or more of your TL's . But ignore the Vantage scores.

Message 5 of 14
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

To make you feel better, I logged into CK and received a notice that my credit limit on one account was INCREASED by $300 and the balance dropped by $100.  These two incidents resulted in CK score dropping 36 points Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just use CK for the alerts when something reports. Other than that, the Vantage scores mean absolutely nothing. My true TU FICO is 806, while my Vantage TU is 762. Go figure.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

transunion score always lower than other at least for mine and my family /freind, experian /my fico show you accured score (you are not going to happy but that"s a true score), they just upgrade it on may 29/2015 , when you sign up (or already have account)with credit check total.com you able to get experian /my fico score pluse EQ TU, i just call yesterday  and they change my monthly to only $14.95 .i think that"s good deal

Message 8 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

I just use CK for the alerts when something reports. Other than that, the Vantage scores mean absolutely nothing. My true TU FICO is 806, while my Vantage TU is 762. Go figure.

Heh I find it amusing my VS scores are higher than yours when my credit report sucks in comparison.

I must be the only one who thinks VS scores are worth knowing: there are a number of popular credit products on this forum which have been underwritten under a VS algorithm and probably more that we don't know about.  

In any event while I wouldn't stop tracking a minimum of one FICO for benchmarking, the scores at CK are way better than the vast majority of FAKO's one stumbles across.  

That said, I still think their service is absolutely brilliant: free access to the report data for EQ/TU once per week and in a good format and being able to go back over prior reports?  Oh yeah!

        
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't worry about the Fako scores so much.  They're good sites to get all of you credit report info every week but their scores are good for just a handful of creditors.  Keep charging and paying.  You should see an increase beforelong.  When mine seems to stay in one spot, I start messing around with a couple of my cards, leaving a balance or 2/3.  Then pif.  Just to trigger a few more points.  Hope all works out well for you.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.