Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma score plunge

tag
Bman70
Established Contributor

Credit Karma score plunge

Just checked my CK score, and it had plunged 22 points since last time. I started frantically looking for signs of identity theft, then saw a little note about their Vantage Score model. It seems they recently upgraded the version to 3.0. Has anyone else seen this huge drop too? I'm also wondering if this makes CK more or less of a match to FICO. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Credit Karma score plunge

@Bman70 wrote:

Just checked my CK score, and it had plunged 22 points since last time. I started frantically looking for signs of identity theft, then saw a little note about their Vantage Score model. It seems they recently upgraded the version to 3.0. Has anyone else seen this huge drop too? I'm also wondering if this makes CK more or less of a match to FICO. 

Yep, there's quite a few threads on here with folks saying exactly the same thing... you're definitely not alone!

My own EQ score with CK took a nose-dive a couple of weeks ago.  I had an inquiry drop off EQ (it went from four to three), and that score dropped 50 points (yep, not a typo - 50 points).  My TU score, which has three inquiries, stayed relatively the same.  I looked and looked, and there's no reasonable excuse for there to suddenly (literally, over a week) be a 50 point drop and certainly no reason for there to be such a stark difference in the two.  Everybody likes to say, "...there must be something"; but there isn't (I have no reason to lie to strangers on here... LOL).  It defies all logic.

Along with many others, I only use CK for the credit bureau report data, and I've learned to pretty much ignore their "scores".

I'm sorry I don't have something better to offer you!  Smiley Frustrated

Message 2 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

While a score drop like that could indicate an issue, IMO  there's not much point in worrying over VantageScores unless you know you have a creditor or intend to apply with one that actually uses them in their credit decisions.  I always recommend focusing on the data in the reports and to determine the reason for any score change you'd have to look at your report data anyway.

@Bman70 wrote:

It seems they recently upgraded the version to 3.0.

They've been on 3.0 for quite some time now.  When was the last time you checked your VantageScores with CK?

@Bman70 wrote:

I'm also wondering if this makes CK more or less of a match to FICO. 

VantageScore is not intended to model FICO 8.  In any case, you cannot use a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by a different model even if both models are FICO's.  Different models use different algorithms and you should expect different algorithms to produce different results.  The variances and trending can differ.  Two different models can be coincidentally close or even produce the same numbers in some cases but keep in mind that coincidental and causal are two entirely different things.  If you want to rely on something then something coincidental isn't what you want to rely on.

There isn't just one FICO model.  See also the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum and its stickies.  Make sure you're carefully considering the specific scoring model as well as the CRA used as a data source and the dates the scores were generated when comparing scores.  All these can have an impact of the specific number generated.

If you want to know what your score is with a given model then pull that specific score.

@UncleB wrote:

Everybody likes to say, "...there must be something"; but there isn't (I have no reason to lie to strangers on here... LOL).  It defies all logic.

There's certainly a reason.  Scores aren't just randomly generated.  I'm not saying you're lying -- just that you're missing something.  However, again, VS 3.0 doesn't really matter unless you know you have a creditor that uses the score.

Message 3 of 14
newhis
Valued Contributor

My DW's FICO is at 750, CK lists TU score at 695.

She only uses CK to see the reports and balances reported. 

Message 4 of 14
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

When I checked 2 weeks ago , my CK EQ score dropped 12 points but my TU score had been stable. This week, my TU score dropped 13 points and EQ hadn't changed since the drop.

No delinquencies, a few CLIs, and one paid off small student loan were my only changes. Agree that the site is really just helpful to keep track of the report than the score. 

Message 5 of 14
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

My CK score plummeted a couple of weeks ago becuase two collections were removed. Don't bother with those scores. My TU is more than 70 points higher than what CK says. 

Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 10.04.08 AM.png

Message 6 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@newhis wrote:

My DW's FICO is at 750, CK lists TU score at 695.

She only uses CK to see the reports and balances reported. 

Your DW is using CK correctly.  It's brilliant for that; however, everything else, not so much.

Utill I find a lender that's explicitly using Vantage on approvals across their product lines, I'm not so worried on it.  I did have Chase UW my old Freedom application back in early 2013 on VS, but nobody since then.  Had heard Cap 1 was using but they used a FICO 04 model for me at any rate.

Until recently Vantage 3.0 was markedly higher than my FICO 8 scores; after I started playing with installment utilization my FICO 8's jumped, but post app spree my VS has taken a beating whereas my FICO scores haven't moved as much.  I'm guessing at this point VS 3 will trend upwards well in excess of my FICO 8 scores through 11/2017, but when my tax lien comes off then I expect my FICO 8's to be equivalent or higher.

        
Message 7 of 14
Bman70
Established Contributor

Thanks everyone. This drop is since last week. So I guess the Vantage 3.0 change didn't cause it. I've looked over my TU report (CK) in detail, and can't find anything except my Discover balance increased by $1200. Guess I will buy a FICO report and see if that score is still high. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bman70 wrote:

Thanks everyone. This drop is since last week. So I guess the Vantage 3.0 change didn't cause it. I've looked over my TU report (CK) in detail, and can't find anything except my Discover balance increased by $1200. Guess I will buy a FICO report and see if that score is still high. 

That's what caused it. Every time I have a balance increase, even a little one, my Vantage scores drop.

Message 9 of 14
Bman70
Established Contributor

After looking over the CK report in detail, I decided not to buy a FICO report. There are no reasons for the score drop that would concern me: No new inquiries, no new accounts, no lates or derogs. I guess there is just some strange algorithm CK uses, that dropped TU by 22 points. EQ only dropped 2. 

Significantly, I now have only 3 accounts out of 8 reporting balances, when before I had 4 of 8 with balances. Could that make CK drop the score? As far as FICO is concerned, I would have thought less cards reporting balances would raise it, so I won't worry. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.