Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma sucks!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Karma sucks!!!

I knew that CK wasn't going to be dead on accurate with my real fico score but a ballpark figure possibly. It updated today and has me at 695. I went to get a small couple thousand loan and when my credit union ran my stuff my fico score was 637. Why does CK even exist if there is going to be a 60 point swing??? What good is it? I was thinking maybe 10-15 point difference but 60? Pointless for them to even exist.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Karma sucks!!!

Glad you have discovered that when you apply for credit, whatever scoring model you have been looking at might not be the one that the lender uses -- and indeed that it could be off by a lot.  That can happen within FICO models too -- you could be looking at one FICO score and then find out that the lender used a different FICO model, or drew his data on a different CRA, and you end up with a huge difference, possibly resulting in a denial of the application.

Karma can be used in some very powerful ways that can benefit you.  Let us know if you want to hear more about what those might be.

Let us know too if you'd like to know some strategies for how to better prepare for a loan or CC app.  We can suggest those as well.

Good to see that you are on the Forums!

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. I do understand and have heard about the different scoring models out there etc but I figured CK would be off some. The 60 points is mindblowing and I'm not sure what use they are but if there are some powerful ways to use CK I'd like to hear about them if you don't mind.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My CK score is over 100 points higher than my FICO score.  Totally useless for me for credit-worthiness purposes but CK is a great monitoring tool.  WalletHub is the fastest when it comes to inquiry reporting, though.

Message 4 of 17
itspnutbutterkellytime
Regular Contributor

Credit Karma uses a Vantage score which is a completely different scoring model than FICO. I only use CK to monitor the things on my reports; I ignore the scores completely. Very few lenders, if any, use the Vantage score. 

FICO8 Scores as of 2022 MAY 18:

FICO Auto 2/4/5 Scores as of 2021 JULY 21:

FICO Bankcard 2/4/5 Scores as of 2021 JULY 21:

FICO Mortgage 2/4/5 Scores as of 2021 JULY 21:
Message 5 of 17
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@itspnutbutterkellytime wrote:

Credit Karma uses a Vantage score which is a completely different scoring model than FICO. I only use CK to monitor the things on my reports; I ignore the scores completely. Very few lenders, if any, use the Vantage score. 

I really like this answer!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. I do understand and have heard about the different scoring models out there etc but I figured CK would be off some. The 60 points is mindblowing and I'm not sure what use they are but if there are some powerful ways to use CK I'd like to hear about them if you don't mind.

Sure!  The first and best way to use Karma is as a one-stop shop for obtaining your EQ and TU reports.  Reports (as distinguished from scores) are so important.  They help you find out when CC balances have updated and tons of other stuff.  Karma is also nice for assessing basic stats like CC utilization.  But ignore what Karma's front end summary page says about AAoA (Average Age of Accounts).

A really sweet thing about reports at Karma is that fresh versions are available as often as once a week.  That's a big advantage over a credit monitoring product like myFICO Ultimate, where you can only see your reports once every 90 days.

Another nice use for Karma is as a way of tracking your Vantage scores over time.  In this sense, you are not using the score to figure out "what will my lender pull when I plan for loan X next week?"  Even if the scores were FICO 8 Classic scores the score your lender pulls could be very different.  (Happy to give you a lot of examples of how that can and does happen.)

Rather, you are in this sense tracking the Vantage scores against themselves over time -- to see whether your general credit profile is gradually improving.  That can be useful to anyone who wants to see if things are generally getting better, as his derogs fall off, as his accounts get older, as his CC utilization is paid down, etc.

Finally Karma is the only place where you can obtain and track for free a credit score used by the auto insurance and home insurance industry.  This is NOT the Vantage score that you see at Karma, nor does the industry generally use FICO.  Being able to look at this score can be valuable as you assess how you look to insurers.  Just bear in mind that its ranges are very different.  An 831 score is amazingly good at FICO and at Vantage, but it is a mediocre to bad score as an Auto Insurance score.

Message 7 of 17
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Finally Karma is the only place where you can obtain and track for free a credit score used by the auto insurance and home insurance industry.  This is NOT the Vantage score that you see at Karma, nor does the industry generally use FICO.  Being able to look at this score can be valuable as you assess how you look to insurers.  Just bear in mind that its ranges are very different.  An 831 score is amazingly good at FICO and at Vantage, but it is a mediocre to bad score as an Auto Insurance score.

Where do you find your insurance score on CK? I remember I used to see that, but havene't seen it in a long time.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just googled Credit Karma Auto Insurance score and got it:

https://www.creditkarma.com/myfinances/scores/insurance

Google knows everything.

Message 9 of 17
dmFICO8
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just googled Credit Karma Auto Insurance score and got it:

https://www.creditkarma.com/myfinances/scores/insurance

Google knows everything.

Using your link, I am not only to see my Auto Insurance score, I am able to get back to my old interface, but if I click Overview, it will refresh to new interface, I gonna bookmark this link to get back to old interface for now. https://www.creditkarma.com/myfinances/creditreport/summary

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.